Smoke alarm positions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, is it true to say that smoke alarms need to be no more than 7.5m from each room, not above heaters and 300mm from light fittings and walls and one on each floor. Also they should be wired to the mains with battery back up.

Thanks
Taff

Sponsored Links
Hi all, is it true to say that smoke alarms need to be no more than 7.5m from each room, not above heaters and 300mm from light fittings and walls and one on each floor. Also they should be wired to the mains with battery back up.

Thanks
Taff

And I think they have to be on the ceiling's highest point. i.e. if you have a ceiling on 2 levels, with a step, it has to be on the highest part.
You'd be best to check with building control though, who may tell you to check with the alarm manufacturer, as mine did!

And I think they have to be interconnected as well. So when one goes off, they all do.
This can be achieved either by wiring them together or by a wireless connection. I use both.

OK, thanks for that, I dont have issues with ceilings at different levels and I know that they need to be connected together with 3 core and earth to allow them to go off together.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back