Smoke Alarm siting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All, I have just installed 3 mains smoke alarms. Wireless...all work fine.
In the buildings regs it states 300mm from light fitting, and 300mm from edge of wall..
This particular property with its loft extension, was not easy to comply..
First Floor...Sited correctly, no problems.
Second Floor... 300mm from light, but next to wall..
Third Floor.. installed on wall, within first 12 inches from ceiling..

Building inspector failed the second two.
Now I might be wrong, and this is the beauty of forums for a second opinion, but can the siting of my smoke alarms be legit, i seem to recall that they can be wall mounted, but for the life of me, I cant find suitable info to back it up....Regards
(will be ringing aico tommorow for another opinion)

Sponsored Links
He may be right depending on manufacturers instructions, they always superceed anything stated in the regs.
The ones I am about to fit say nothing about light fittings so in that case the regs would need to be adhered to.
However their instructions say they can be fitted on walls provided they are between 100-305mm of the ceiling and if ceiling mounted are more than 100mm from the wall.
I think with Aico you are going to be out of luck as their instructions adhere to the building regs.
http://www.aico.co.uk/Where-do-I-site.html

Thanks Chappers, I know you can mount certain ones on top of wall...I fear you may be right

Sponsored Links
He may be right depending on manufacturers instructions, they always superceed anything stated in the regs.
They don't supercede it. You will need to comply with BS5839-6 regardless of what manufacturers instructions state.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back