Smoke alarm type and location?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a single smoke detector in a house which is currently being done up to be let out as a single residence.

I'd like to have at least two mains detectors with battery backup, some of the floors are up but not all and so placement is slightly restricted unless conduit is used or more holes are made/ floors are lifted.

Cable can easily be taken from the loft to the first floor void through the redundant airing cupboard in bedroom 2.

It's difficult to get a new feed to the CU so a feed would have to be taken from a lighting circuit or an FCU off another circuit.

I attach a floor plan. If anyone has suggestions on best location and type I would be very grateful.

Attachments

• IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Having had a read and checked on the legalities, it would seem that the minimum requirement would be one detector on the landing, of ionisation type, and one detector in the lounge, which could be an ionising version but might be best as optical given the risk of smouldering electrical fires and upholstery.

Linking is to my mind essential as it helps to ensure that the occupants when sleeping upstairs will be more likely to know about a fire in the lounge next to the hallway escape route as soon as possible.

I also realise there also needs to be a CO detector in the kitchen where the boiler is sited and there is theoretical potential for a gas cooker.

Other than those is there really any need to install further alarms? Are heat rise alarms in kitchens ever useful or simply an expensive overspecification?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back