Smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to install smoke alarms in a multiple occupancy house.

Local Authority state they must be on their own dedicated cct.

I know we've had the debate about whether they should be on own cct or on a lighting cct just collecting opinions.

N.B. property has resident landlord who holds key to cupboard containing CU

Sponsored Links
Hi DESL,

I would put them on the lighting circuits personally, simply so that the detectors are not turned off for peace, and not switched back on.
Just my opinion.

However, in my experience, the local building officer calls the shots for some strange reason !!

Ed.

That's what I would normally do but LA are insisting on seperate cct .

I'm not certain whether the letter from LA to owner was specific to him or a generalisation. I intend to follow this up with the relavent LA department.

In this instance access to CU is controlled by resident landlord.

LA want separate cct, they give yay or nay, put on separate cct

Sponsored Links
Hi Breezer

I thought I'd get an opinion from you - but following your logical argument on this subject I normally connect to lighting cct.

Did you argue your case with the authority?

I'm contracted to landlord not them and he has to comply with LA

Also - as a result of this there no spare ways on existing ancient Wylex board which is fed via an ELCB etc etc so I'm not arguing the case.

I was just trying to apply logic and common sense but as usual I'm labouring under missapprehension.

ones with battery backup will beep with mains power loss ... so that will notify the person the mcb is off

if u put them on a lighting circuit they must have battery backup anyway so .. might aswell put them on seperate circuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back