Smoke alarms

AS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any tips on makes models of smoke alarms that have to be wired into the mains with battery back up.

Are these wired in independently (not part of ring) and what cable size is required?

We are not doing this work ourselves I just want to understand what will happen so i know which floor boards to replace and where not to decorate!

Sponsored Links
on their own radial using 1 or 1.5mm cable

If they're battery-backed up, they can share a circuit, and there's a lot to be said for putting them on a lighting one, as you tend to notice, and fix, the loss of lights PDQ.....

Sponsored Links
What do you mean you tend to notice the loss of lights and fix them PDQ?

What I mean is there's a good case to be made for putting the smokes on a lighting circuit. If they're on their own, and the MCB trips for any reason, you might not notice immediately - guess it depends on the alert that the alarm provides.

If they're on a lighting circuit, and the MCB trips, then you would notice immediately, and not many people sit around in darkness for days/weeks on end because they can't be bothered to reset the breaker....

Have seen some new ones on the market, that replace existing ceiling rose of the lighting. They are battery backed so will illuminate the light & sounder for a couple of hours if the circuit goes down or is indeed going off due to a smoke logged room. They can also be linked to provide a lighted pathway through a building in the event of fire.
Sorry cant remember the name.

The best smoke alarms are either the Firex ones ( 4870 with battery backup)or the EI ones (EI141 with battery backup). You will pay between £12 - £16 for one.

There are also alot of cheaper unbranded ones around that may well be OK.

Cheers
These will save me an ear bashing from her indoors (no interlinking cable runs & dust required), need to link the new extention to the old hall way.
Building regs pain in the backside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back