Redundant smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not long moved in and currently decorating. We have two smoke alarm bases in the hallway, now redundant as previous occupier installed battery only rf smoke alarms. These bases are currently live. Can I just maintain their connections and poke wires into ceiling (it's a bungalow, but this bit is covered by tongue and groove board, so not easy to access)?

Thanks!

thumbnail.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can you find the other end of the supply cable and disconnect it?
It might be at the nearest light.

You can presumably disconnect the cable that runs between the two alarms. You might be able to remove it.

Is there a label in the consumer unit stating on which circuit it is?

Make safe with junction box and label what it is and when it was removed. Push up behind ceiling.
Other option is buy new ones and slide on existing base as they are mains powered and linked.
I've done that with mine

Just don't bodge up and stuff away with a bit of tape around.

Interesting choice to replace with RF units IF the old ones are connected by 3 core and earth

Sponsored Links
Which rooms have the battery only rf detectors?

Has a bungalow extension been added recently?

Trying to figure out why the mains ones have become redundant - especially because it's usually easy to add more mains detectors in a bungalow.

Can you find the other end of the supply cable and disconnect it?
It might be at the nearest light.

You can presumably disconnect the cable that runs between the two alarms. You might be able to remove it.

Is there a label in the consumer unit stating on which circuit it is?
Not easily. The hallway, where both are, is the only bit of loft all tongued and grooved. The 'sitting room' trip turns them off.

Which rooms have the battery only rf detectors?

Has a bungalow extension been added recently?

Trying to figure out why the mains ones have become redundant - especially because it's usually easy to add more mains detectors in a bungalow.
Hallway, dining room and sitting room, and no extensions built. There's also another battery only one at end of hallway!

Last edited:
Make safe with junction box and label what it is and when it was removed. Push up behind ceiling.
Other option is buy new ones and slide on existing base as they are mains powered and linked.
I've done that with mine

Just don't bodge up and stuff away with a bit of tape around.
Maybe that's the answer? And ditch the RF ones.
I wonder why they were not used...

Hi again
Sitting room lighting circuit. And I'm sort of leaning toward sticking new units on the bases, or just replace the whole thing like with like and ditching the RF ones. One thing, had a little look on fleabay and there are loads of the bases for sale (just the base). Why would people want to buy new bases?

Hi again
Sitting room lighting circuit. And I'm sort of leaning toward sticking new units on the bases, or just replace the whole thing like with like and ditching the RF ones. One thing, had a little look on fleabay and there are loads of the bases for sale (just the base). Why would people want to buy new bases?
If you've ever had a terminal screw that doesn't tighten, or you've broken one by accident...

Hi again
Reason.
Buy smoke detector and slide on old base then put the new unused base on eBay.
Who would buy a new base? That's a good question you asked and I thought the same.

Also the brand I have changed the model numbers but I discovered the new type fits the old bases. Result... bingo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back