Redundant smoke alarms

When I replaced the mains interlinked with new I think the old ones would fit but the old were yellowed and covered in paint from decorators/owners so I used the new ones. Much smarter. Check the age of the wireless ones. They may be due replacement anyway. All mine were well over 10 years old!

Current guidelines on smoke alarm placement may be relevant (and even compulsory in some Countries of our United Kingdoms). So you may want to add more rather than go back to the wired ones only. (You can get some that combine wired and wireless with addon modules, including Aico/EI that your base unit is from).

Sponsored Links
Not sure I agree with that. Just changed 3 of ours after 10 years and the bases are as good as new.

That said no smokers in our house
Probably due to no smokers perhaps - have sometimes just tried to change the head, but the yellow bases looked so awful I couldn't leave it like that.

Probably due to no smokers perhaps - have sometimes just tried to change the head, but the yellow bases looked so awful I couldn't leave it like that.
No where as near as bad as the firex smokes though - now they really did yellow something chronic!

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to convince an apprentice that the older Tan coloured Merlin Gerin boards (pre 2004 ish) were once the magnolia colour of the newer merlins and the current schneider boards..........

Sponsored Links
No where as near as bad as the firex smokes though - now they really did yellow something chronic!

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to convince an apprentice that the older Tan coloured Merlin Gerin boards (pre 2004 ish) were once the magnolia colour of the newer merlins and the current schneider boards..........
I was looking at some old plastic MK consumer units I fitted getting on for 20 years ago (it seems like only yesterday) and marvelling at how discoloured and shabby the look now.

I was looking at some old plastic MK consumer units I fitted getting on for 20 years ago (it seems like only yesterday)

Its frightening isn't it, remember that its two decades now since the new colours came in, I referred to a cirucit as something like '6-Yellow' the other day and got a WTF look from the final year apprentice, and had to explain about the old phase colours, and then I had the realisation that he would have been yet to start nursery school when they came in, and some of the younger ones hadn't been born yet.... and I'm a member of the Millennial generation - when I first started be were on new colours for everything we put in, but everything we added to or ripped out was still in RYB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back