smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit 2 smoke alarms, 1 in hallway at bottom of stairs and 1 in hallway, top of stairs
If i run 1.5mm T/E from 6amp in C/U to 1st alarm then 3core+e to the 2nd, would this work?? 6amp would be non RCD.. Also if wiring is run between stud walls where i cant get 50mm clearance, does the pvc conduit surfice?

Sponsored Links
I need to fit 2 smoke alarms, 1 in hallway at bottom of stairs and 1 in hallway, top of stairs
If i run 1.5mm T/E from 6amp in C/U to 1st alarm then 3core+e to the 2nd, would this work?? 6amp would be non RCD.. Also if wiring is run between stud walls where i cant get 50mm clearance, does the pvc conduit surfice?

Cabling sounds fine. Another option is to supply the smokes off a regularly used lighting circuit.

PVC conduit suffice? For what, mechanical protection to negate the use of a additional protection via a 30mA RCD? If so, then no, it doesn't suffice.

Ive put pvc conduit on my light switches cables that travel down between 3x2 stud walls, also on 1 spur that goes off my ring circuit to the shaving socket.Upstairs lights on RCD as bathroom fan is wired off them, also both rings but down stairs lights are not..

To comply with the regulations, if the cables are concealed in a wall at a depth of <50mm they must be RCD protected, or in earthed steel conduit, or be of a exempted type (BS 8436 for example).

The fact that existing cables aren't RCD protected is irrelevant - to comply any new cables you install will have to be.

Sponsored Links
With any luck you might have an airing cupboard or similar on the landing, in which case you might be able to use surface trunking (or clipped direct) for the interlinking cable between the two detectors. If so, you could power the detetectors from an existing lighting circuit without the need to go to the CU, and without the need for RCD protection.

There's no need for 1.5mm cable, by the way. 1mm is more than adequate - and easier to terminate in a detector,

Lucia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back