1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Most Effective Location For Smoke Alarm On a Landing

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Speakercon, 26 Mar 2018.

1. Speakercon

Speakercon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all.

When it comes to fitting a smoke alarm on a landing which postion would you consider it best located?

Currenlty it is in positon 1, however I was wondering whether 2 or 3 would be more effective (there is another smoke alarm in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs).

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Simon35

Simon35

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would have thought they are all equally effective. You're overthinking it, it's smoke, it will drift around in the breeze...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Speakercon

Speakercon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Okay then, what would be the standard position you would put it in?

5. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Probably 2 or 3, since access to the ceiling over the stairs would presumably be less straightforward. make sure you comply with the manufacturer's recommendation about distance from walls etc.

Kind Regards, John

6. Risteard

Risteard

Thanks Received:
    Ireland
    Not merely manufacturer's instructions - there are explicit requirements for siting in BS 5839-6 (assuming domestic, otherwise BS 5839-1).

7. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    One would hope that the manufacturer's instructions would be consistent with the relevant Standards (and most users have access to the former, but not to the latter).

Kind Regards, John

8. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Position 3, so that people are actually able to reach it and press the test button.

9. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Fair enough, but I would imagine that if they could reach Position 3 (with or without standing on something), they could equally reach Position 2. As I said originally, it's really only Position 1 that might well create access problems.

Kind Regards, John

10. Sponsored Links
  11. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    None of you experts has mentioned the location of the alarm must take account of the locations of the bedrooms.
    There’s no point having an alarm going off at night if nobody can hear it!
    So, need a better dimension plan of the landing, with locations of rooms and doors.

12. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    True (albeit I would certainly make no claims of being anything approaching an 'expert' in this field - or any electrical field, come to that!) - but I did rather presume that some common sense was also being applied!

Unless the scale of the OP's diagram is incredibly unusual (e..g. 20ft wide stairs!) I doubt that the choice between the three positions the OP has indicated would make any noticeable difference to whether or not the alarm could be heard in bedrooms, wherever they are (although, if it's an enormous house, I suppose it might not be heard in any of them!).

Kind Regards, John

13. pilsbury

pilsbury

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As long as it’s a regular 3-5 bed house, a decent smoke alarm, mains or long life battery sited anywhere on the landing ceiling, 20cm from walls will be fine. Not in a recessed loft hatch or anything daft. Make sure it’s tested every month. Position for this is important. Right over the deepest part of the stairwell is gonna lead to lack of testing.

Smoke will very quickly reach the whole ceiling and set it off. One on each level of the house.

14. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    He is right about that. I mentioned distance specifically because BS 5839-6 reads:

Unless there is, within the bedroom, a fire alarm sounder or a smoke alarm (or heat alarm) that will give a fire alarm signal whenever fire is detected anywhere in the dwelling, in all Category LD systems the sound pressure level of fire alarm signals, if measured at the doorway of each bedroom (with the door open), should be at least 85 dB(A), irrespective of where fire is detected in the dwelling.

15. Speakercon

Speakercon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys for the input, no worries on that score as an alarm is going in every room (interlinked).

16. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In that case, any position that is convenient and consistent with the manufacturer's advice and instructions (which I feel sure will reflect relevant Standards and regulations) would be fine for the landing one. As I and others have said, the main thing to avoid it siting it somewhere where, because of difficult access, it probably would not be tested as often as it should be.

Kind Regards, John

17. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    And if they can't reach the ceiling without standing on something, or if it cannot be guaranteed that there will never be a time when someone who can't reach needs to, #2 might worry them.

[​IMG]