smoke detectors

Sponsored Links
I would also advise a dual sensor smoke alarm - why? I had an ionisation detector in the hall and had the usual problems of not being able to cook anything without the smoke alarm telling me! Anyway, one day we left the grill on but closed the door by mistake. sure enough when we opened the door 5 mins later the grill caught fire - took me a full extinguisher to put out and filled the house with smoke. It then occured to us that out trusty bacon butty detector hadn't gone off! we tested with a ciggie and a match and yes it worked. It was sited in the hall at the time in a similar sort of area that the fire brigade fitted my grandfathers smoke alarm.
You can imagine this worried us so I went straight out and bought a optical / ionisation detector for about £15. While I haven't set fire to the oven again to test if it works this time I feel confident that if this one doesn't detect a similar fire there isn't a great deal out there that will!
Just for the technical biz I beleive opticals detect the more visible smouldering type of smoke whilst ionisation detects the less visible type of smoke??? not sure if anyone can verify this?

Ionisation catch fast flaming type fires, and optical the smoldering type.

I didn't dream it - A heat in the kitchen and a smoke in the principle habitable room in addition to the others is either now a reg, or soon will be. The leaflet i had has gone.....

Sponsored Links
Ahh - It is part of BS5839 part 6.

It is a recommendation - likely to become compulsory in future years through BC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back