smoke detectors

Sponsored Links
Usually 1 in the hallway & 1 on the landing....both interlinked..

Sponsored Links
also heat detector in kitchen. kitchen very small. posistion question middle of ceiling ? certain distance from heat source ie cooker?

I'm not convinced there's much point putting one in the hall, normally any hot air or smoke will immediately rise to the top landing.

Try not to have one in the kitchen unless you can find a Rate of Rise detector. Otherwise the toaster and chip pan will set it off.

Don't have one where steam e.g. from shower or kettle will rise into it - that also sets off one of my smokies. So can some aerosols (I think deodorant spray).

If you have a garage or workroom, good place for one as lots of oil, petrol, rags, paint, thinners etc as well as sometimes petrol and hot engines. My old gran had her barn burn down from a car engine fault, and I once found some oily rags smouldering from spontaneous combustion in my dad's paint cupboard (I'm not making it up).

And if anyone in the house is smoking themselves to death, one in their bedroom for when they fall asleep with a lighted fag and set the bed on fire.

If your house is not more than 2 storeys, the regs are:

1. At least 1 on each floor.
2. Within 7mtrs of a Kitchen and living rooms or other areas where a fire may start, like internal garages.
3. Within 3mtrs of all bedroom doors.

And with the new regs - a heat in the kitchen, and a smoke in the principle habitable room.

When were they introduced. I thought heat detectors in kitchens were only compulsory where there was no door between kitchen and other circulation spaces and stairs?

I got my plans approved a couple of years ago for my loft conversion and they asked me to put one on each level (3)

One in the hall before the stairs

One on top of the landing

One in the loft at the top of the stairs

They are all inter linked and on their own MCB in the CU

I have also fitted my own Kiddie battery powered ones in the bedrooms and living rooms. You cant be too carefull.

Also as part of my fire precautions I have had a new window fitted in the bedroom that opens out onto the first storey for escape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back