Replacing an old wired smoke detector for a new one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an old guest house and I was decorating a room and I removed a smoke detector and the plastic base fell to bits so I bought a new smoke detector to replace the old one. My question is what to the four wires correspond to? And where would they go in the new smoke detector base plate.
I’ve attached photos for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_6010.jpeg
    IMG_6010.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6014.jpeg
    IMG_6014.jpeg
    444 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
Hard to tell from the pictures, but I expect the alarms are interlinked so that they all go off if one is triggered.
There is no standard interlink method, do you’d have to get a replacement from the same maker. But looking at the age of the one in the photo, you should check the others. Smoke alarms have a lifetime of around 10 years before the whole alarm needs replacing. The alarms should have an expiry date on them.

Probably they are all out of date and now is the time to rejig the arrangement and buy all new alarms. . You probably don’t need an alarm in every bedroom if the house is now just a family dwelling.

Sponsored Links
Red/Brown - Line
Black - Neutral
Blue - Interlink.

However,
different manufacturers have different "standards",
so, all interconnected alarms should be of the same design.

Smoke alarms should be replaced after TEN years.

Ionization alarms should NOT be used.
Use photo-electric alarms.

Battery powered alarms (lasting ten years), which interlink by "wireless", are available.

. You probably don’t need an alarm in every bedroom if the house is now just a family dwelling.

I suggest that the above would be very bad practice.
See https://www.qfes.qld.gov.au/smokealarms for world's best practice.

Last edited:
Thats clearly a base from a zoned fire alarm system, not a domestic smoke detector, and it seems its been connected with break on the neg rather than pos. What fire panel is this on? (picture please) and what detector head have you removed and what are you replacing it with?

I'm assuming this is now all your property and its not just one area you occupy in the larger building, because if thats the case, then you shouldn't be touching it, but assuming its just propecting only your house and its just there becuase of the previous use then....

Disconnect it, check for voltage on each of the incomming legs, lukily one is red/black the other is brown/blue, one of them will give you 24v. Thats the In, the other is the out. Brown and red go to the L1 terminals in accordance with in and out, the blue and black to L2. The Shotkky diode is meant to be left in place. Do you know how to correctly test it when you are done, including checking for correct indication of fault if the head is removed?

Thats clearly a base from a zoned fire alarm system, not a domestic smoke detector, and it seems its been connected with break on the neg rather than pos. What fire panel is this on? (picture please) and what detector head have you removed and what are you replacing it with?

I'm assuming this is now all your property and its not just one area you occupy in the larger building, because if thats the case, then you shouldn't be touching it, but assuming its just propecting only your house and its just there becuase of the previous use then....

Disconnect it, check for voltage on each of the incomming legs, lukily one is red/black the other is brown/blue, one of them will give you 24v. Thats the In, the other is the out. Brown and red go to the L1 terminals in accordance with in and out, the blue and black to L2. The Shotkky diode is meant to be left in place. Do you know how to correctly test it when you are done, including checking for correct indication of fault if the head is removed?
This is the fire alarm panel.

Attachments

• IMG_6047.jpeg
    IMG_6047.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 30
I replaced mine after 10 years with fire angel.
They come with a plug and I simply used wagos to connect them to existing cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back