Smoke/heat detector linking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Am about to buy a few smoke and heat alarms and I have had lighting cable put in so they can be powered by mains but wondered if the t&e was all that's needed to interlink them or if other cable is required? Ideally they would be linked but I only have t&e available.

I've seen these ones:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLSD146.html

and they can be linked with a wireless device is this what i'll have to get? or is my cabling sufficient? The four detectors are on their own circuit.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
To interlink those alarms you will either need 3c & E or you will have to use the RF bases on each alarm (not cheap though)

Are you sure that there is no way you could replace the cable???

To interlink those alarms you will either need 3c & E or you will have to use the RF bases on each alarm (not cheap though)

Are you sure that there is no way you could replace the cable???

An electrician I know once used the earth wire as the link. Somehow I doubt that this is acceptable though :confused:

Sponsored Links
Do not use the CPC as an interlink, DANGEROUS BODGE.

Use RF link or replace the cable or add a pvc/pvc single beween them.

btw DO NOT USE THE CPC (did i mention that?) :)

Rewire them with 3 core and earth.

Would you really trust the life of you and your family to a wireless device? If my laptop connection is anything to go by, I sure as hell wouldn't. :eek:

Oh and do NOT use the CPC for the interlink. I am yet again appalled that someone was so stupid to mention this on a DIY forum.

Rewire them with 3 core and earth.

Would you really trust the life of you and your family to a wireless device? If my laptop connection is anything to go by, I sure as hell wouldn't. :eek:

Oh and do NOT use the CPC for the interlink. I am yet again appalled that someone was so stupid to mention this on a DIY forum.
Oh contaire - by mentioning what a pro did (even though I'm not an electrician I knew that it sounded highly dodgy and persuaded the customer (I was plumbing in his bathroom at the time) to use an RF system for safety) and the subsequent derision of it, it will have ensured that the op and others don't consider it. So, far from being a daft thing to bring up, I think it was a good thing to do.

Wireless sounds like it may be the only option although very expensive.

Thanks for the info guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back