Smoothing small gaps/steps in floor before vinyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

We stripped out our kitchen to find what I think are the old original asbestos type tiles on the floor.

The majority of the area is very flat, so it will be ideal to lay the new vinyl on top off. But unfortunately in some areas the tiles have cracked so we have ripped them up.

To get over the worst of it, I used some self levelling compound with polymer. It has done a grand job. But in some areas (most likely due to me not doing it right) where the compound reaches the edge of a tile there is still a small level (gap) change. Only talking a couple of mm, but I'm worried it will still show in new vinyl.

Does anyone have any ideas whats best to use to smooth it even better. I wondered something similar to pollyfiller (but sets harder) I could use to scrape smooth to a feather edge so there was no immediate jump

Many thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_0383.JPG
    DSC_0383.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_0381.JPG
    DSC_0381.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 132
Sponsored Links
Do you intend to lay sheet vinyl over the old vinyl tiles?
You will be taking a risk by doing it that way - all and any irregularities will grin through.
The professional way would be to lift all the tiles and adhesive, and then grind a smooth floor.

To treat your SLC lip you could pour and feather a little more SLC but it might be difficult meeting the cold edge.

A more expensive & tricky method for a one man DIY'er would be to SLC the whole floor.

You must be certain that there's no damp in the floor or the surrounding walls where they meet the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back