Snap together engineered wood floor between door frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Quick question which has been puzzling me for a while.

So im laying snap together engineered wood flooring in our hall, I have cut out the door jambs to fit the flooring under, I understand how to slide the flooring under the door jamb when im fitting the flooring length ways but what about when one plank goes between 2 door frames (specifically a door under the stairs).

I wouldn't be able to lay the floor at an angle as the door frames will be in the way, so do I have to cut out the tongue and groove and slide the plank under from the other side of the door (under the stairs?).

many thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
You could remove the tongue so you can slide it in and use biscuits for your join.

Hi Dave.

You will not be able to lock the flooring together in the doorway.

It is almost impossible to slide a locking system wood floor under a doorway without cutting away some of the locking system and then using PVA adhesive to glue that joint.

Not sure about a biscuit haha

Sponsored Links
Op didn't give a dimension chris but that's how I did my floor, which is 15mm. run it through the table saw and bench joiner and used biscuits, that way I could adjust the centre board width to suit the doorframe.

Op didn't give a dimension chris but that's how I did my floor, which is 15mm. run it through the table saw and bench joiner and used biscuits, that way I could adjust the centre board width to suit the doorframe.

Makes sense on bigger boards, what is likely to be the minimum depth of floor that you could biscuit?

Blade on the joiner is 1/4" so anything over 9mm is ok. I wouldn't go lower than 12mm personally.

dave - you suggest in your first post that you've started laying ... is this correct? If not, consider starting to lay at the side of the hall where that door is. Fit your short (door thresh bit) into the next plank, then slide the two into position; continue laying across the hall width.

thanks for all your help guys, i managed to cut off the groove and slide the wood into place and used PVA glue to bond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back