Snapped this at work yesterday.....

Sponsored Links
Nice and tidy, just how it should be :D .

I'd suggest you get some velcro cable ties and ditch the locked nylon ones, unless you've done it to prevent evil 3rd party naughty fingers trying to play around with the patch leads :LOL:

Used to do vast amounts of data cabling, from foreman all the way to operations and projects manager and I've never understood the slap it in mentality.

If you want 15 year, warranted contractors go to Mayflex or RWData for recommendations. They both sell cable and components and will tell you who is authorised to do correct network infrastructure instals for their supplied systems.

I have no interest in either firm, but I am surprised that your firm will allow hill billy contractors to do work and not supply CAD, pentascanner test results, bound documentation and 15 year warranty via 3rd party (supplier) 15% random retests.

Pretty standard with most larger Corp's, Hospitals, Schools etc...

Hey Chri5,

Thanks for your comments :oops:

I didn't really want to use the zip ties but it wasn't tidy enough and i had to use them, i have actually found some velcro ones and they are in my draw waiting to be installed but i just haven't had time. Oh and don't worry, i've warned everyone with a key to the cabinets that if they mess them up i'll hunt them down and kill them :LOL: .

Thanks for suggesting thos firms, i'll pass the details on to estates but i doubt anything will change. The only guarantee is the standard one year i assume, 15 years would only ever happen in my dream world.

If anyone was wondering i work for a college (second biggest in wales if anyone can work it out :) )

Right its late and i'm off to bed.

All the best
Dan

I did all 4 main sites at UWIC for voice, fibre and some Cat5 about 12 years ago.

The sports campus with 110 buildings was a challenge :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

I've got another picture to add to the topic. A contractor jack-hammered through a power cable yesterday cutting power to one of our blocks, as its the holidays the power being out wasn't a problem as its all locked up anyway. Western power were called as its a metered supply and as far as anyone was aware is was their cable. Well upon investigation the yellow phase was down, wester power checked their transformer on site and found their fuses were all fine. Hmmm very strange! Turns out its one of our cables fed from our switch room next to the main western power transformer, the supply is metered in the switch room and is also metered in the block which means we have been paying for the same electricity twice. Nobody knows how this has happened but someone will no doubt get their backside kicked. The cable in question was fed from an unmarked switch and each phase was protected by a 250amp fuse. Pictured below is a quick picture i took while nobody was in the switch room, the fuses exposed are the main incomers and are 400amp each, these feed the right hand side of the board with the left being fed by another set of 400amp fuses. The board is an old Dorman Smith, there is another similar one in the catering block and a newer one in the bakery which has breakers rather than fuses.

Any comments welcome...

DSC00072.jpg

All the best
Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back