Snapped this at work yesterday.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Snapped a pic of one of our Crabtree boards yesterday while the contractors had the cover off. There are several new IT labs being installed so loads of new circuits going in for them. As i know you all love pics i thought id share it with you guys.

DSC00070.jpg

All the best
Dan

Sponsored Links
I thought you were going to show us something you broke!!!

Anyhow, is it just me or are the 7 or so MCBs at the top right hand side the wrong way around?

Thats truly a beauteous thing! Supply looks big, that can't be 120mm in there can it? The backwards MCB thing appears to be true! Whats that all about?

Is it JohnD who loves the RCBO's? Don't let him see this!

If you look closely there appears to be a 13amp BS1363 plug balanced in the bottom! Perhaps thats the supply, through a joint box below the photo, then coming into the incomer via the SWA!

"Yeah, we just plug it in over there by that kettle when we need to!"

Could be another Part P avoidance thing! Chuck a plug on it, non-notifiable!

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

Hadn't noticed the mcb's on the top right being the wrong way round, they seem to be part of the original install with the ones that are the correct way round below them belonging to the new circuits that have been installed. However i seem to remember a discussion a while back where it was ok to use certain mcb's in reverse, can anyone shed any light on this?

Yep i thought JohnD would love this board, RCBO's rule!

Again your bang on about the 13amp plug, its usually plugged into a single socket just out of view on the picture, as they guys are working on the board they needed to isolate it so pulled the plug :LOL: . Nah seriously though, it was wired to their test kit, no idea what for though.

I too thought the supply cable looked big, no idea what size but the isolator switch for the board was rated at 200amps. Obviously it may be fused much lower in the switch room but i've only seen in there once and it looked like something out of Star Trek :eek: so i couldn't tell you tbh!

If i get the chance to snap a pic of any more i will post them here.

All the best
Dan

I would say 70mm supply, 50mm earth.

The breakers are the wrong way - I have seen this before where some numpty assumed all the breakers should face the same direction when on, rather than all outwards or all inwards (does depend on make).

It is tidy, but you have some brutal sparks in at the moment ruining it with their dodgy T+E's coming in the top.

That SWA could be terminated a little neater aswell :cry:

My calculations go as thus:

Single Gang Accessory cover 86mm
SWA next to the two EMG LTG key switches (assuming its the same armoured) looks proportionally just over half making it about 50mm OD, which is closest to 120mm 6944XLSF.

Worryingly though i make that capable of 353A on tray, which this must be after it goes throught the ceiling. What a waste of all that copper. Can you open it up and pull some strands out Dan? Worth a few quid and clearly not being used in there!

Disclaimer: JOKE! DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! before all you crazy DIYers get any ideas! The value of your Zs may go down as well as up.

Waste of copper? - If it is 120mm, it could have been selected due to a huge run! 160amp (that aint no 100 incommer) would drop volts quickly over a good distance.

Even 70mm would hopefully have been selected correctly through calcs, and not just guessed.

Waste of copper? No fool would install a larger cable than neccessary due to cost of purchase, and cost of install.......would they?

Waste of copper? - If it is 120mm, it could have been selected due to a huge run! 160amp (that aint no 100 incommer) would drop volts quickly over a good distance.

It was just a joke! But anyway, volt drop is a damn good point!

Waste of copper? No fool would install a larger cable than neccessary due to cost of purchase, and cost of install.......would they?

I hope so! I sell cable for a living now! :evil:

But it was a more humourous post than normal as it was a "just for fun" electrician's pr0n pic!

Ime guessing Edmundsons then!?

Which branch? I use three across the country for some sites we maintain.

It was eds once upon a time, but many years ago. The name is actually a joke based on the fact that I also worked for CEF (Call Eds First, rather than City Electrical Factors!) but alas it is no longer the case. I work for a manufacturer now!

Is the armoured in the corner the same one? Looking at the gland, it doesn't look anything like a BW50 that 120mm would require. I concede! Its just that the yellow looks a lot bigger than the other cores!

I was basing my guess on OD of the whole cable which I think has varied substantially over the last few years. I think big cables seem a lot thinner nowadays. Is it just me?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back