So, should we be worried about this ISP download crackdown?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With todays news that 6 ISP's are to target large data downloaders, what should I be doing to avoid a telling off and 1/2 hour detention on Friday?

Should I just avoid P2P and stick to forums? Or is all data monitored? What about FTP?

Will I have to get the free stuff from the bloke down the market again?

Whats the point in paying £20 a month for the internet if I can't download anything? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Do not attempt to run.

We know where you are.

Take your beating like a man.

When you go for a **** and flush the bog. it will release a certain (average) amount of water'

A certain amount of other people will also flush at the time.

It gets measured somewhere along the line.

They know when you drop your centre! :LOL:

Avoid P2P. they are very easy to trace. If you've noticed, nearly all the internet copyright prosecutions in USA/Europe (and there have been > 10,000)) have been for P2P/BitTorrent/SharedFolders. If you want music software or video, there are other ways.

Sponsored Links
Spent a few hours to-day poking around the info from "the times" and found loads and loads of download sites I never knew existed.

They will never stop file sharing.

Dunno why they want to ban it. I hear music I like and can't be arsed to download it so I buy the cd.

They said on the radio if you get caught downloading stuff, you will get a letter. Whoopee!

if you persist they will reduce yur ownload speed
whoopee.

They will never cut you off because that is a customer they will loose

The internet is a legal nightmare because of the international boundary issues ... What my be illegal here could be perfectly legal on sites in other countries.

There are some big test cases coming up ... Keep an eye out for them ;)

MW

how do the isp know you have visited a p2p site can they view your history? I get music from youtube although you cant download albums you can download singles and mae your own albums

how do the isp know you have visited a p2p site can they view your history?

They find out by adding the files to their client software and recording the IP address of people who share chunks of that file. This is the risk you take with non-anonymous file sharing clients

" Emule ", has a feature - Obfuscation, which alters the data packets in order make them look like random data and not that which is typical from p2p. It helps avoid basic tracking or throttling of p2p data by the ISP. It does not hide the user, though.

The key to anonymity on the Internet is your IP address - use methods to hide this.

Sponsored Links
Back