A simple question about routers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello: My question is very simple, but the background to it requires rather a lot of words.

I need to experiment, by using a card inserted in my phone (I shall purchase one that, presumably, will be valid for a month) that allows data and downloads etc., on the internet. I should tether my phone to my computer (a Mac), and see whether the computer can use the Internet, download stuff etc., with this connection. I am thinking of reducing the cost of Internet use on my computer, but, before committing myself to any changes, I need to do a trial run. Now, I understand that, after the first "handshake" between a router and a computer, it is bad practice to switch the router off, which I want to avoid doing.

To be quite sure that any experimental downloads are made via the data allowance on this card (and not via my router), I should need to disconnect the internet connection via my router, by leaving the power on, but pulling the ethernet cable out from the back of the router.

My question is: would this temporary disconnection of the ethernet cable have a detrimental effect on the router's performance, afterwards? I mean, is the continued power supply sufficient to keep it "alive" as it was before, or would there need to be another "handshake"? Would anyone advise against doing what I am thinking of (about the router)?

Any replies, comments etc., would be gratefully received. Thanks in anticipation!
L.L.

Sponsored Links
My question is: would this temporary disconnection of the ethernet cable have a detrimental effect on the router's performance, afterwards? I mean, is the continued power supply sufficient to keep it "alive" as it was before, or would there need to be another "handshake"? Would anyone advise against doing what I am thinking of (about the router)?

Once unplugged from the phone line, your router will keep trying to reconnect, as soon as you plug it back in, then it will handshake and reconnect. It will reconnect at around the previous speed it was connected at, the only difference might be, that you are allocated a different IP by your ISP. The latter should make no difference to you.

What can happen if you repeatedly plug and unplug, is that the system may assume their is a connection issue and downgrade your speed in the hopes of improving the reliability.

If you are using a phone to tether or 4G router, you don't need to disconnect anything do you?

Just set-up the 'mobile' connection as a different wi-fi hotspot and use this.

On your Mac (as a work-around) you could just remove the router's IP address to not use the ethernet connection, removing the ethernet cable between Mac and router will have no degradation to internet connectivity speed.

If you are using a phone to tether or 4G router, you don't need to disconnect anything do you?

Just set-up the 'mobile' connection as a different wi-fi hotspot and use this.

On your Mac (as a work-around) you could just remove the router's IP address to not use the ethernet connection, removing the ethernet cable between Mac and router will have no degradation to internet connectivity speed.
Thanks for your information and advice, Mr Chibs. That's another hurdle cleared (not knowing the safety of what I am thinking of doing).
L.L.

Sponsored Links
Once unplugged from the phone line, your router will keep trying to reconnect, as soon as you plug it back in, then it will handshake and reconnect. It will reconnect at around the previous speed it was connected at, the only difference might be, that you are allocated a different IP by your ISP. The latter should make no difference to you.

What can happen if you repeatedly plug and unplug, is that the system may assume their is a connection issue and downgrade your speed in the hopes of improving the reliability.
That latter remark of yours, Harry, is what was at the back of my concern. Thanks for pointing that out. However, it would only need re-plugging once, as, once the procedure has been proved, I would just use the router until the end of my contract, then switch to phone connection.

Another question comes to mind, and that is, on the present arrangement (router and landline phone), my wife and I can talk to my son, on two different handsets (a 3-way conversation). Would this be possible also with my wife's phone tethered to mine?
L.L.

Another question comes to mind, and that is, on the present arrangement (router and landline phone), my wife and I can talk to my son, on two different handsets (a 3-way conversation). Would this be possible also with my wife's phone tethered to mine?

No, you would use one phone - but either set that on loudspeaker, or with a bluetooth loud speaker.

There are software add-ones, which allow a 'conference call', three or more people in on the call. I think WhatsApp allows that. Instead of making a mobile call, it makes an internet call.

No, you would use one phone - but either set that on loudspeaker, or with a bluetooth loud speaker.

There are software add-ones, which allow a 'conference call', three or more people in on the call. I think WhatsApp allows that. Instead of making a mobile call, it makes an internet call.
I see. The single phone would pick up the two voices, while the loudspeaker would allow both at this end to hear the voice from the other end. Thanks, Harry. It's all becoming clearer now. For me, it is a very bold step to a) take out a suitable SIM card (contract) in good time, which commits me to a monthly payment for at least a year, also b) to give my landline/broadband provider notice to terminate. However, if everything works as I am told it will, there will be an overall huge saving in money. I just hope that my mobile provider (3UK) doesn't put a cap on internet use on my computer, making me pay for anything over that cap.
Thanks again, Harry.
L.L.

3 offer 5g broadband with a wireless router for £10 a month , no need for all that messing about .
You can use what’s app on Mac and phone to conference call.

Last edited:
3 offer 5g broadband with a wireless router for £10 a month , no need for all that messing about .
You can use what’s app on Mac and phone to conference call.
Hey, Foxhole, I am a 3 UK customer already. I didn't know that though. 1) How much data (GB) allowance do they let you have, with that deal? Please bear with me, because all this stuff is very new to me. 2) Are you saying that the router you mention just sits on the desk, with no wires? I presume that it will be powered by a rechargeable battery (?) 3) And would my wife's phone be able to to link up with that WiFi, as well as my phone and the computer? I should very much appreciate answers to all three four questions, because I don't want to order the wrong thing. If you would be so kind as to provide a link to this on 3's website, it would be very much appreciated.
If it is as good as it sounds (assuming a decent GB allowance), I could keep my old phone SIM card and keep my number too.
Hoping to hear more from you, and thanks!
L.L.

If it is as good as it sounds (assuming a decent GB allowance), I could keep my old phone SIM card and keep my number too.
Hoping to hear more from you, and thanks!

You would need a phone which supports 5g, to be in an area where there is 5g (not many outside city centres) and I think a new sim card too.

This 3 website gives an indication of reception.. https://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Network/Coverage.

Certainly no 5g where I live.

Backwards compatible with 4g etc, no need to change phone.Unlimited data, also has Ethernet connection on router which is mains powered .
Foxhole, that sounds just great! I shall order one of these routers. That, and a cheap unlimited texts and calls (with 1 GB data, which she is not likely to use) card for my wife only, is the solution to the problem. The net savings for me will be £28.50 per month. Even in my wildest dreams, I could never have imagined this possible! And all because of being uninformed (up until about a week ago, mobile phone use/potential was very arcane stuff to me, having been locked into computer-only use from the start).
I'm very grateful for all the information, comments and guidance that this forum has provided.
Thanks to all,
L.L.

Sponsored Links
Back