Soakaway floods from rain on driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a house which has a slope running down towards the front. We have taken down a large wall and the earth behind it thus trying to have it at one level.
One of the drains at the front of the house leads to a soakaway which was quite old and flooded when the rain came.
We have had a new soakaway installed with two crates and it is ok with light rain but when heavy rain occurs it backs up and the rain water settles against the front wall.I have to use a pump to pump the water away to the main road drains.
It appears that by taking away the wall an earth the water runs down to the gulley like a small stream and overwhelms the soakaway.
We intend to resin the driveway or use a grass grid to reduce the flow in the near future hopefully this will reduce the flow any other ideas would be welcome

Sponsored Links
Is there a question here?

Because the answer is likely to be to put a wall back or divert the water somehow.

Thanks should have been more direct I am seeking advice on whether a grass grid or resin drive would permeate enough surface water so that the soakaway would be able to cope with the situation
I think that the better option may be to ask my builder to consider an overflow pipe running into another surface water drain system

When designing surface drainage, the key thing is to determine the permeability of the soils and allow for peak loadings - something which whoever installed your soakaway did not seem to do.

The type of resin drive and its base will either be permeable or not. Resin bound is permeable, whilst resin bonded is not. Then it depends what base is being laid or used. Then it comes down to soils or and clay layers. Likewise for grass grid

And permeable hard surfaces can become clogged, or less permeable over time

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture of the problem area you would like advice on. There are a lot of very good tradespeople on here that could give you a better idea by viewing the scene.

Please see attached files as you can see the front of the house has recently been rendered the rainwater will rest against this when we have a massive downpour.The pump does its job keeping it down as you can see just below the window there i

Attachments

• 20200430_152847.jpg
    20200430_152847.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 257
  • 20200430_152854.jpg
    20200430_152854.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 256
  • 20200430_152859.jpg
    20200430_152859.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 20200430_152905.jpg
    20200430_152905.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 266
is a grid drain leading to the gully and the pipe leading to the soakaway 7 meters away on the ground where there was a wall earth.
This piece of land needs to be landscaped as it has got hard core rubble on it at present and the drive has an incline l

Good evening Neil, you mentioned that there are 2 crates installed for the soakaway, I would ask about the size of them and wether they have enough storage capacity for your property, it seems that you could also have a blockage in the run to the crates somewhere.This problem needs to be sorted now before you do anymore remedial work. One idea could be to redirect your roof water into a waterbutt so you can recycle this and take this flow away from the soakaway system. Hope this helps.

Yes all taken on board this needs to be rectified before I invest in the renovation

When I meet with the builders will take up your points thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back