Soap draw on washing machine leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much would you expect to pay to get this repaired?

My plumber confirmed it's leaking but he doesn't do appliances.

What would typically have lead to this?

I have the model of the machine off hand, it's a mid-range currys I know that much

Sponsored Links
What's happening, Hawk? Is water gushing out of the front of the drawer due to a powder blockage in the tube leading to the drum maybe, or has the drawer itself failed?
John :)

I was told by my plumber ''it's the soap dispenser'' so I told the tenant to follow the manual instructions on how to clean out detergent gunk before I send someone out. We'll see what comes back.

I see.....typical faults are the water jets from above blocking up with sprayed back powder (particularly the fabric softener which is low volume and pressure), the siphon on the fabric softener tray blocking up with gunge and overflowing out the front and the tube from behind the drawer clogging - as I mentioned before.
Soap capsules chucked straight into the drum helps things a bit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips. If the water jets are clogged I wouldn't expect them to fix it on their own?

Polish couple; and she had trouble switching the oven on when they first moved in.

I'll be inadvertently making it a repair and not a maintenance issue if I send someone out. Was quoted £50 + vat before parts no matter what the problem is. The worst sort of tradesmen are appliance repairers, I'd happily avoid avoid avoid but this may not go away by the sound of it.

I don't think you have any option mate.....regarding the water jets I have got in there with a toothbrush in the past, and even a cocktail stick on occasion to help things along without taking the washer top off.
For sure, I'd guess the tenants couldn't give a toss what the fault is.

Tenant now says the leak goes away for three washes but on the fourth she has to clean it out again. Any ideas ?

I've said use the tabs in the drum and see if that cleans it out, as the draw fills up regardless of whether there's detergent in it or not?

If that fails I'll have to call someone in on it.

The draw is removable and easy to clean , drop in a bucket of boiling water, is the draw is not clogged and actually damaged then replacement draws are available and just slot in.

The draw is removable and easy to clean , drop in a bucket of boiling water, is the draw is not clogged and actually damaged then replacement draws are available and just slot in.

Do you think the defect would likely occur from overuse or misuse? I like the idea of sending them out another part but what's the reason it can fail other than cracked plastic? I know what they look like and generally there are no washers or seals that can fail?

The only thing that gives issues is the fabric conditioner drawer syphon.....if it's blocked with gunge the syphon just doesn't work and water overflows.
Is the place too far away for you to look in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back