Socket develops fault, trips RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Last night I was minding my own business when suddenly the RCD trips out.

I work out that the circuit with the fault is one of the ring mains (the only ring I haven't actually worked on aside from actually wiring the ends into my new CU). I go round pulling out all plugs from the sockets on that circuits and the RCD *still* won't stay up (I switched all other MCBs off so I'm just testing that one circuit).

I eventually discover that, despite nothing being plugged in to it, I have to turn the switches on a particular socket into the off position before the RCD will stay on. Leaving nothing plugged in, if I flick the switches into the on position the RCD trips out immediately.

I replace the double socket with a new MK one I happened to have and it's all fine now.

Does this sort of thing happen often? The old socket is about 20 years old (I assume - it's in the extension which was built in 1987 and I assume it's original). There's no visible mechanical damage nor is there any indication of it getting wet (it's on an internal wall anyway). It's not a make I've heard of before but then again I'm not an electrician so I don't see many installations to that level of detail.

My wife wasn't best pleased because it happened in the middle of her recording a film on Sky+ ... :(

Sponsored Links
Could be that you have disturbed a fault in the cable behind the socket or there is a depressed spider between line and neutral in the old socket :?:

I don't think I've disturbed anything - not only have I not worked on this cicuit, I've not actually worked on this entire wall, from either side.

The spider theory is an interesting one - I'll have to open it up to see.

Sorry to be a pessermist, but I bet it's tripped again within the week.

Sponsored Links
I hope not! Though I bow to your far greater experience. Why do you expect it to re-trip within a week? Because there are other old sockets the same as the one I've just replaced or for other reasons?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back