socket off the Spur with the FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a double socket on one end of my loft, this socket is a spur off the socket from my bedroom socket which is part of the ring main. I would like to add another socket in other end of my loft, can I extend it with the 2.5mm T&E cable and from the exisiting socket (in loft) and add 13amp FCU before the new socket ? I will be using this socket to power the CCTV cameras.

power-socket.jpg

Any help on this will be much appreciated, thank you.

Sponsored Links
You need to put the 13A FCU before the FIRST socket in your loft.

Both the sockets in the loft then are fed from the LOAD side of the FCU. So the max load for all of the socketsin the loft will be limited to 13amps.

What the pp said, but I just wanted to say I love your diagram, very cartoony!:)

Sponsored Links
This is so useful! I'm doing the same for my loft. What I wanted to ask the OP was that how did you get the cable from the bedroom to the loft? Is it a case of undoing the sockets from the room and dropping the cable down from the loft and connecting it?

Thank you

What sort of wall is it, i.e. construction?

Excuse my terminology. It's a plasterboard wall, home was built in 2015. From the loft I should be able to see down the walls. I basically haven't boarded the loft yet due to the thicker layer of insulation. That's phase 1 then I can easily spur a light off the lighting ring as it's near the landing pendant.

Thank you

If it’s plasterboard on wooden studs, The there will be a horizontal stud at the top, and several going across the wall. You’ll be very lucky to be able to drop a cable from the top down to the socket.

If it’s plasterboard on wooden studs, The there will be a horizontal stud at the top, and several going across the wall. You’ll be very lucky to be able to drop a cable from the top down to the socket.

Didn't think of that...Thank you, going to have to find another way. I'll have a scan around the area and see what's there. Would have been nice if Persimmon left some power up there.

The biggest problem I find is the available height above the stud wall for power tools.
You will usually see the walls top plate from the loft and a 25mm hole will give good visibility into the wall, a) if the roof is not in the way, and b) it is not full of insulation. Drilling a hole in a noggin is not difficult (as long as the roof is not in the way).

The biggest problem I find is the available height above the stud wall for power tools.
You will usually see the walls top plate from the loft and a 25mm hole will give good visibility into the wall, a) if the roof is not in the way, and b) it is not full of insulation. Drilling a hole in a noggin is not difficult (as long as the roof is not in the way).

Sorry what's a noggin?

The lighting should not be on a ring.

Should it not be on its own lighting ring for each floor? I assumed they were as if one bulb blows it either takes the upstairs or downstairs lights out? Can't recall how many on the respective floor go off so you might even be right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back