Socket on a radial from consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Radial query.

I've got a 5 foot high cupboard in the hall that contains the consumer unit and utility meters.

I want to put a table lamp on the cupboard but have no sockets nearby so was planning on putting a single socket inside the cupboard on a short radial from the consumer unit. Could I run this radial from the existing 32A ground floor socket ring mcb on 4mm t+e or would it be better to run it from a new 16A mcb on 2.5mm t+e?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can run it using 2.5 directly from the 32A GF Ring Final MCB - it's a spur, just like any other, not a radial. As an addition to an existing circuit, it's not notifiable.

If you create a new radial circuit with a 16A MCB, then the work becomes notifiable.

Sponsored Links
It would require RCD protection though, does the circuit have this protection?
And to comply to part p, the work must be carried out safely and it must be proved that it is safe to put into service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back