socket on skirting - moving to proper height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a socket which is mounted onto the skirting.

going to chisel out the wall and pop in a steel back box at proper height ( 100mm above skirting )

existing cable length is very short. how do i safely and correctly extend the cables up to where i need them ? will be running cables from below floor into conduit running upwards into back box.

how do i extend the cables ?

Sponsored Links
Ideally you would install complete new lengths of each leg between the connected outlets before and after this socket, this would prevent any inaccessible joints being made. But this is often not practical, so you will be best extending both legs by jointing in the floor void by using maintenance free junction boxes (Ashley/Hager types), as the regs will require this if the joints are not accessible.
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ashley+32+amp+box&tbm=shop

Personally I would use a FCU or a cooker connection unit to replace skirting socket and the small length of cable between the two.

I like the easy life.

There are many ways to extend, and likely the best is western role tinned joints, with shrink sleeve over them, the result is hardly any thicker than the cables being joined.

Using maintenance free junction boxes will do the job you could even use epoxy resin but much depends on where it is and if you need to hide the joint.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would use a FCU or a cooker connection unit to replace skirting socket and the small length of cable between the two.

If that was the case, I would blank plate and keep the RFC in it's complete loop or to be really lazy, just spur from the blank plate! No need for isolator or FCU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back