Socket Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a Maintenance Electrician and am due to fit a socket in a commercial premises kitchen which is simple enough. The only problem is, there only appears to be one DP socket and a spur attached to it with no other sockets near it to make up a Ring or a Radial apart from a Cooker unit which I also have to remove. I'm assuming this must be a radial but frustratingly for me it is not listed on the Distribution board which also makes Isolating it a problem. The cables are 2.5mm so it is either a ring or a radial but I''m cautious to add a socket to this existing arrangement without a clear Idea of its proximity within the existing layout. There are no other sockets within at least a 20m radius. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
What size fuse is the 2.5mm fed from? Could be a spur from a RFC? Your CCU should hopefully be fed from its own way in the dis board - can you confirm the size of the cable supplying it - 2.5mm seems a little bit on the small side? Can you not re-arrange the double pole socket to divert the ring around? What else is on this circuit? What type of commercial premises? What is the likely load in this kitchen? Is the distribution board close by?

Sponsored Links
the problem is, there only appears to be one double socket and a double socket spurred off it. As far as this Ring/radial is concerned this appears to be it. Its in a kitchen and the only other socket is a cooker switch socket. Frustratingly it is not listed on the DB which breaker controls the kichen leccy so at this point I don't even know what breaker is protecting it which would indicate what circuit it is. The building is an office block and the DB is on the ground floor and the kitchen is on the first floor.

you need to find out the details of the circuit before you can safely start modifying it.

I guess it is time to invest in one of those fuse finder type devices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back