Socket Switching Mystery...

Sponsored Links
Which leads me to wonder what is really going on here.

Consider that the MK unswitched box is the original in the garage, and the other single socket and the FCU are spurs from that.
The cabling to the double socket is obviously much newer than the white T&E. Is this a new ring? :confused: :confused:

I would want to see pics of the cabling behind each of those sockets. I think the OP is going to need a multimeter for us to progress this.

Which leads me to wonder what is really going on here. ... Consider that the MK unswitched box is the original in the garage, and the other single socket and the FCU are spurs from that.
The cabling to the double socket is obviously much newer than the white T&E. Is this a new ring? :confused: :confused: ... I would want to see pics of the cabling behind each of those sockets.
Yes, that is all possible and, yes, we've been asking for pics behind those sockets, and I've also asked what MCBs control which sockets.

However, no matter how the various accessories are wired, we are going to keep coming back to the seemingly extraordinary phenomenon the OP is experiencing - with operation of the switch on one socket apparently repeatedly and consistently controlling the power to other socket(s).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
got a sparky in this morning to investigate...

it turned out that some absolute cowboy had in fact wired the two kitchen sockets into where an indicator neon was supposed to be wired into the single switched socket!!! :eek:
thank god we didn't put the kettle on those 2 sockets!

the 2 kitchen sockets are now properly wired as a spur from the ring main. the bodger had run out of space in the main terminals so used the terminals for a neon for the kitchen sockets!!

...it turned out that some absolute cowboy had in fact wired the two kitchen sockets into where an indicator neon was supposed to be wired into the single switched socket!!! :eek:
thank god we didn't put the kettle on those 2 sockets! ... the 2 kitchen sockets are now properly wired as a spur from the ring main. the bodger had run out of space in the main terminals so used the terminals for a neon for the kitchen sockets!!
Intriguing!! - thanks for the update.

Robin0577 deserves a major prize - I don't think many of us really believed that anyone would be as daft as to do that, even though it was just about the only credible way in which the socket's switch could affect anything other than what was plugged in to the socket!

Kind Regards, John

the 2 kitchen sockets are now properly wired as a spur from the ring main. the bodger had run out of space in the main terminals so used the terminals for a neon for the kitchen sockets!!
P.S. ....I hope that your electrician either wired them as separate spurs from the ring or else (if there was only one spur) fed them via a 13A FCU (thereby limiting total current draw from the two doubles to 13A) - since it is not permitted to run two sockets on a single unfused spur from a ring.

Kind Regards, John

P.S. ....I hope that your electrician either wired them as separate spurs from the ring or else (if there was only one spur) fed them via a 13A FCU (thereby limiting total current draw from the two doubles to 13A) - since it is not permitted to run two sockets on a single unfused spur from a ring.

Kind Regards, John

the two double sockets are wired as two separate spurs.

Fair enough, then. It sounds as if you've probably got everything 'sorted'.

One other question, stimulated by counting the (visible) cables going to that switched single socket in the garage. Is that a (unfused) spur from somewhere, rather than being part of a ring? I ask because, if it were a spur, then it should not really be feeding that FCU which feeds back into the kitchen (which is obviously a rather untidy arrangement - could it not be wired directly within the kitchen?).

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough, then. It sounds as if you've probably got everything 'sorted'.

One other question, stimulated by counting the (visible) cables going to that switched single socket in the garage. Is that a (unfused) spur from somewhere, rather than being part of a ring? I ask because, if it were a spur, then it should not really be feeding that FCU which feeds back into the kitchen (which is obviously a rather untidy arrangement - could it not be wired directly within the kitchen?).

Kind Regards, John

yes, the single switched socket is part of a ring.
also, the other side of the wall is tiled, so most probably whoever installed the FCU for the undercabinet heater didn't want to break into the tiles (or didnt have the tools to do so).

yes, the single switched socket is part of a ring.
Fair enough. Do I therefore take it that the 'offending' cable, which was supplying the two kitchen sockets (from the single socket's neon terminals!) goes out of the back of the single socket box and straight through the wall? (as I said, there are not enough visible cables to explain it).

However, there is still a theoretical problem. regulation wise. Even given that the switched single socket is part of a ring, it is supplying the (unswitched) single socket before the FCU - which is not strictly compliant with the regs, since it means that an unfused spur is supplying two things (the socket and the FCU), whereas it is only allowed to supply one. If the unswitched socket and FCU were swapped, it would then be reg-compliant.

Kind Regards, John

Well i'm glad that is cleared up.

You would have thought he would at least have put some tape over the switch to prevent it being switched off! :LOL:

Ok, here's an off-the-wall theory...

You know how on a few, mostly older designs of accessory there's a pair of little springy brass terminal things post-switch where the flyleads from an optional neon indicator are supposed to go....

Suppose you were a master bodger and you ran out of space in the main terminals....

Nobody would be that daft, would they?

Robin, are you single? Would you have my babies? Just think, with my intelligence and modesty and your foresight, they would rule the World!!

:LOL:

Well i'm glad that is cleared up. ... You would have thought he would at least have put some tape over the switch to prevent it being switched off! :LOL:
... but only if they realised "what they'd done" (which one suspects they didn't) - otherwise they would have seen no reason why the switch shouldn't be switched off!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back