Socket under sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter just texted to say that she has just noticed a plug and socket under the sink , for the dishwasher.

This is a brand new house. I told her it may seem a little strange but is probably within the regs.

Can you confirm it is still allowable, please?

Thanks

Attachments

• D59339B1-005C-4B3A-B43E-F924B763AE01.jpeg
    D59339B1-005C-4B3A-B43E-F924B763AE01.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I was on a job where fuse box was under sink. Makes no sense.

It's permitted but IMO undesirable.

I'd consider swapping it for a weatherproof "outdoor" one with the cable entering from underneath and a lid that will shut with a plug in it.

Why is everyone getting concerned?
would you have the same questions if it's in the cupboard adjacent to the sink?

Or on any downstairs wall when there are pipes in the ceiling? And yes, I've had a leak upstairs run into a conduit and come out inside a socket back-box downstairs.

Or on any downstairs wall when there are pipes in the ceiling? And yes, I've had a leak upstairs run into a conduit and come out inside a socket back-box downstairs.
Me too, fortunately at work in the workshop, not at home.

Also at work on a customers site an emergency stop button for a rooftop chiller mounted above the contactor which was mounted above the isolator with conduit couplings. Conduit from bottom of isolator through wall to bottom of horizontal trunking which turned a corner and dropped several floors then into horizontal trunking and then with big brass bushes ~4" and couplings into top of control panel, where the water ran down the wires to the internal slotted trunking and dispersed into the top a row of MCBs, the insides of one had rotted and failed (for a completely different circuit).
Seeing the water damage I insulation tested and found a problem on the chiller wiring and hence the contactor, it was easy to trace the water marks in the salty atmosphere.

My instruction for repair: replace the faulty MCB and contactor, when I returned with parts I found a hood around the E stop fashioned from an ice cream container.

A lot of hysteria in the world about electrics under kitchen sinks.

Yet it's ceiling lights and pull switches that get soaked when there's a leak...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back