Electric socket under sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have an electric socket under the sink for my dishwasher and waste disposal.

My question is are you supposed to have a separate switch to turn the waste disposal on or is it Ok to switch it on/off directly with the plug switch. The sink is on an island and I don't want the switch to be on the granite.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
It would depend on type of waste disposal where the switch is only used as an isolator and the unit automatically switches on and off then it would be OK but where it needs operating every time you use the unit then you will need some water proof switch to at least IP56 and the switches in sockets would not be good enough.

I don't know of any regulation to say what switch can be used but I don't like even a tickle so I would want the best I could find.

Not sure how to upload photo?

It is a normal socket with 2 plugs and 2 switches - no different to sockets above the worksurface (except it isn't mounted into the wall) it has the dishwasher plugged in and the waste disposal. To switch waste disposal on I have to flick the switch and then turn it off when finished. No different to any other plug, like the toaster, kettle etc. Does this help?

Sponsored Links
On our waste disposal I'm getting a fused switch fitted on a spur from the ring, then running the wire inside the cavity down to a flex outlet plate.

The waste disposal is switched by a vacum switch mounted to the sink, the fused switch is just for isolation.

if you've got any gaps or could create one by reducing a unit width, then you could mount the switch on the front of the island..

View media item 11807( picture was for cooker switch but same theory )

The sink is on an island and I don't want the switch to be on the granite.
A kitchen is a place of work.

Never compromise safety or functionality for something as trivial as cosmetic appearance.

The sink is on an island and I don't want the switch to be on the granite.

Never compromise safety or functionality for something as trivial as cosmetic appearance.

This is my question. Is it not safe/not to regulations? The builders have installed it this way and I'm not sure whether this is correct/safe or not and I'm checking in case I need to change it. I do not want to compromise on safety!!!!!

personally I would instal the disposal switch out of reach of the sink.. I've seen far to many movies where someone has their hand down the disposal to fish something out and they knock the switch on.. ;)

Personally, if it was my sink, i wouldnt really fancy rooting around in the back of the cupboard to turn a plug on any time i wanted to use the waste disposal unit, especially as its likely you'll have wet hands or suchlike at the time.

Ideally i'd want a switch that i could reach/access easily while standing at the sink, and that was suitably waterproof for its location

Personally, if it was my sink, i wouldnt really fancy rooting around in the back of the cupboard to turn a plug on any time i wanted to use the waste disposal unit, especially as its likely you'll have wet hands or suchlike at the time.

Ideally i'd want a switch that i could reach/access easily while standing at the sink, and that was suitably waterproof for its location

Just like an air switch - http://www.simplykitchensinks.co.uk/index.asp?SKSID=840&ItemID=1569

Press once for on, then once again to switch off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back