Sockets under a kitchen sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.
First post here so please be gentle!

I am having my kitchen refitted. Currently there are several FCUs situated above the work surface leading to sockets below the work surface for various appliances.
This is all good however, I'd like to de-clutter the wall and “conceal” some of the FCUs.

Specifically, I wish to relocate the FCUs for dishwasher, washing machine and waste disposal unit under the sink. Noting the FCUs will be easily accessible high in the sink cupboard.

I've had a search around this site and can find several references to keeping sockets / switches etc away from sinks (above counter level) and ensuring easy access to FCUs etc., but I can't seem to find anything regulating sockets under sinks.
Are there any specific rules, regulations or good practices?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
FCUs are above worktops for good reason, i.e. that they are accessible. You can have sockets underneath, but no point putting FCUs underneath as it defeats the purpose. Good practice is keeping them above counter so that the appliances can be isolated easily!

The generic regulation of an accessory must be suitable for the environment for where it is installed comes into play, if there is a risk of water ingress then either the accessory must be IP rated accordingly or relocated so it is not at risk.
The general rule re kitchen sinks are the accessory should be 30cm along the horizontal away from the sink/drainer. This is in the electricians guide to the building regs.

Sponsored Links
Also in that guide is a recommendation that accessories are not mounted to the kitchen furniture, but to the fabric of the building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back