FCU v socket without a fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under my work surface there are four sockets - three are FCUs and are connected to applicances already (dishwasher etc) they have a switch and a fuse socket.
The fourth one is “spare” and I want to use it for a microwave. However it does not have a fuse. Why is this ? Should I just wire my microwave in anyway ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
if it's an actual socket, for a UK fused plug, it is not usually necessary to feed it from an FCU, unless there is more than one on the spur.

UK does not have a "fuse socket" and our sockets do not have fuses.

However FCUs can be cheaper than DP switches, because they are so popular

There is a doctrinaire disagreement over having an FCU and a fused plug for one appliance, because you have a duplication of fuses.

However in my experience, kitchen appliances blow their fuses approximately never, so I don't consider this a problem.

A switch above the worktop enables you to easily isolate power to the appliance, and a standard plug enables you to easily remove and replace the appliance, so is pretty good arrangement.

There is a chance that the switch you have found is intended for an electric cooker, and a cooker needs a different outlet and circuit, so photos will be a good start, as 'prentice says.

I think we are mixing up terminology here.
A 'socket' is the thing on a wall that has 3 rectangular holes in it that you put a plug into.
I think you mean fused connection unit. Like this?
BG850.JPG

If you have a spare one (how do you know it is spare?)
even the ones without switches have a fuse.

As above. Post a photo, so we can be sure of what you are talking about.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for these responses
Sorry will post a photo when back at the house but “Taylor” you are right - they are four FCUs not sockets
Three look identical to your photo and are allocated to appliances already (they wrote on the cover). The fourth one says “spare” on the cover so I want to use this for a microwave. However, compared to the photo about this one does not have the “fuse” to the left of the switch, it only has the switch.
Can I go ahead and wire into it anyway ?
Thanks

Probably not. It depends what it's connected to.

More information is required as requested.

The microwave probably has a plug on it?
You must not chop that off as then it would not be fused.

It may be possible to swop your “spare “ for a socket. But need to know more about this spare and where it’s feed comes from.

However, compared to the photo about this one does not have the “fuse” to the left of the switch, it only has the switch.
Can I go ahead and wire into it anyway ?
Thanks
Very likely an isolator switch, which are often rated at 45A or 20A, and that is the current rating of the switch/isolator, not a fuse rating, as they are unfused at the accessory but fused at the distribution board. So if your microwave has a 13A plug and there is a standard 13A socket outlet to plug it into. Then very likely the answer would be yes.

ae235
ae235

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back