Convert a FCU to Socket and FCU, or Spur of a FCU?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've just moved into a brand new new build house, and in my utility room where the CH boiler is located, a switched FCU (with a 3 amp fuse installed) is installed in the wall which controls the power to the boiler.

So I want to put my microwave in this utitity room, but no other plug sockets or FCUs are in the room, so I want to either:

Connect both the microwave and boiler to the FCU (but this wont work as the boiler needs a 3A fuse rather than 13A the microwave will need, and I think its bad to run two appliances off one FCU?)

Change the single FCU to a double FCU (but these don't seem to exist?)

Install a new single socket being powered by the FCU. So a spur off the FCU?

So whats the best way to do this?

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Can you find out which circuit breaker in your consumer unit isolates power to the FCU for your boiler and then tell us what's written on it.
This will give us an idea if the circuit has sufficient capacity to support the additional load you are proposing.

Can you find out which circuit breaker in your consumer unit isolates power to the FCU for your boiler and then tell us what's written on it.
This will give us an idea if the circuit has sufficient capacity to support the additional load you are proposing.

Yes I can, back in the house on Friday so can check then. I'm assuming you are thinking the boiler might be on its own specific MCB so may have a small rating?

So I want to put my microwave in this utitity room, but no other plug sockets or FCUs are in the room
A utility room with no sockets to use. :rolleyes:

I sometimes wish that the Sale Of Goods Act applied to new houses. This is one of those times.

Change the single FCU to a double FCU
As DP said, we need to know what the circuit is which is supplying that FCU.

That would put the socket, and therefore the microwave, on the same 3A fuse as the boiler.

Sponsored Links
So I want to put my microwave in this utitity room, but no other plug sockets or FCUs are in the room
A utility room with no sockets to use. :rolleyes:

I sometimes wish that the Sale Of Goods Act applied to new houses. This is one of those times.

Change the single FCU to a double FCU
As DP said, we need to know what the circuit is which is supplying that FCU.

That would put the socket, and therefore the microwave, on the same 3A fuse as the boiler.

Thanks. Well it does have another double socket, but the other side of the room away from the work top. Bad design really.

If I install a single socket off the supply side from the FCU, that would allow me to use 13A plug would it not? Ie it would not be going through the FCUs 3A fuse?

Thanks

You're right about how the socket would be supplied in that case, but we don't know if the circuit, or that cable, is OK to supply a socket and an FCU.

You've got a 6a breaker protecting 1.5mm cable. You're not going to run a microwave off that.

Your options are to:

- Spur off an existing socket that is on the ring main, use this to provide you with a double socket. The other socket in your utility might be a good candidate, though you'll need to verify that it is indeed part of the ring.

- Get an electrician to run a new circuit through from the consumer unit - in which case you can have him install multiple sockets in the utility room.

What the heck were the developers thinking?

What is the other side of the wall which you want to fit a socket?

(Hopefully a garage!)

If the cable installation method allows, you could change the MCB on the heating circuit to 16A and do as you have suggested.

That is one socket and FCU.

Sorted then ! :LOL:

If it's a stud wall use a dual fast fix, job done before Santa arrives !

Regards,

DS

If the cable installation method allows, you could change the MCB on the heating circuit to 16A and do as you have suggested..
That might include testing important things, like EFLI?
True - but, strictly speaking, such a test would already be required when one installed a new socket, even if there hadn't been a change in MCB - so not really any difference. As for the chances of the EFLI being too high for a B16 MCB, even with 1.5mm² cable (unless EFLI was too high on all circuits in the house!) ....

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back