Install a double socket off of a FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In my kitchen there is a FCU for the Combi-boiler. Can I install a double socket next to the FCU and wire it into the load side? I want to run a 700w microwave and a Tassimo coffee machine from the sockets.

Alternatively, can I change the FCU to a FCU and single socket combined unit?

Thanks for any advice.

PA

Sponsored Links
In my kitchen there is a FCU for the Combi-boiler. Can I install a double socket next to the FCU and wire it into the load side? I want to run a 700w microwave and a Tassimo coffee machine from the sockets.
If the FCU is on the ring circuit then you can make the new socket part of the ring as well.
If the FCU is a spur from the ring circuit then, yes, you can do as you ask.

Perhaps you can let us know what wiring is connected to the FCU if you are not sure.
Switch off the power before looking.

a FCU and single socket combined unit?
There's no such thing.

I would imagine that the fuse in the FCU for the boiler is (deliberately) small (probably 3A), which would be pushing things in terms of the loads you indicate.
Alternatively, can I change the FCU to a FCU and single socket combined unit?
Assuming you could find one, you could not do that if the FCU is wired as an 'unfused spur' from a ring circuit. You copuld if the FCU is 'on a ring', or is part of a radial circuit.

What you could do would be to put a 13A fuse in the existing FCU and then (assuming the combi requires a 3A fuse) use that to supply a second FCU (with a 3A fuse) for the combi and also supply a double socket.

Kind Regards, John

There's no such thing.
With thanks to flameport ...
aei_socket_and_fused_outlet_fuse_out.jpg

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
This is one of the few electrical accessories which has no modern equivalent. :)
Ah!! I suppose it's not all that surprising that it disappeared - since a lot of people would probably be tempted into installing it (non-compliantly, if the socket comes from the load side of the FCU) as a spur from a ring final.

Having said that, I presume one can do it, even today, with 'modular' accessories (Click?).

Kind Regards, John

Yes, but there wouldn't be much point in the OP's situation.
Agreed - for the reason I just gave. If one fed the socket from the supply side of the FCU and installed the whole shooting match as a spur from a ring final, it would be non-compliant. However, if one could find a big enough modular set-up, I suppose that one could install 2 FCUs and a single socket in the manner I suggested.

Kind Regards, John

I would imagine that the fuse in the FCU for the boiler is (deliberately) small (probably 3A), which would be pushing things in terms of the loads you indicate.
Assuming you could find one, you could not do that if the FCU is wired as an 'unfused spur' from a ring circuit. You copuld if the FCU is 'on a ring', or is part of a radial circuit.

What you could do would be to put a 13A fuse in the existing FCU and then (assuming the combi requires a 3A fuse) use that to supply a second FCU (with a 3A fuse) for the combi and also supply a double socket.

Kind Regards, John

You wouldn't need the second FCU provided the boiler cable is at least 1.0mm. Boilers are all internally fused and outside the UK are on circuits fused at 16 amps anyway.

OP did say running from the load side of FCU.
He did but, as I said, if there is a 3A fuse "required" (e.g. by MIs) for the combi, then that would be pretty low for the loads he envisages - hence the other options I explored.

Kind Regards, John

You wouldn't need the second FCU provided the boiler cable is at least 1.0mm.
Electrically, that's true ...
Boilers are all internally fused and outside the UK are on circuits fused at 16 amps anyway.
That's also true (well, I assume that they are all internally fused), but that doesn't stop the (UK) instructions at least sometimes calling for an external fuse <13A fuse - for whatever reason.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back