Supply For Boiling Water Tap & Waste Disposal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all - I realise this is notifiable works, but I need to check what I plan is possible, before wasting an electricians time in calling him out to quote.

1. I have a waste disposal that I need wiring in, very near (to the left of sink) is a double 13A socket. Can I get the electrician to fit a fused switched & a single 13A outlet in place of the double 13A outlet, the fused switch will then supply the waste disposal. The disposer draws under 2A

2. A similar situation, there is another double 13A outlet on the other side of the sink, can I get the same carried out (ie. fit a single 13A & a fused swicth) to supply a boiling water tap? The tap draws 10A.

Sponsored Links
1. Yes. Or if the socket is on the ring the spark could run a spur to a further socket for your waste disposal, meaning you don't lose that double socket in your kitchen.

2. Yes in theory you can. But this will depend on how often the 'boiling water tap' is in use. Again if this socket is on a ring with say a 32A MCB then you will use quite alot of the circuits capacity to power the 'boiling water tap'. This could lead to nuisance trips if you've got the kettle on and fancy some toast. ;)

Best thing is to call a spark and ask them to come round and have a look. Remember electrical work in kitchens is notifiable.

Not sure I understand, are you intending to just plug these new appliances into the existing sockets? If so just do it.

Not sure I understand, are you intending to just plug these new appliances into the existing sockets? If so just do it.

No. I plan to have the double outlet socket replaced with a single outlet socket & a fused switch poped in, with an outlet under the units for supply to the relavent appliance.

Sponsored Links
1. Yes. Or if the socket is on the ring the spark could run a spur to a further socket for your waste disposal, meaning you don't lose that double socket in your kitchen.

Hadn't thought of this option, pretty sure it's a ring but will check tonight to make sure, would make sense get it done this way, thanks.

Just didn't want to call up a spark and have him say can't be doen (whilst sucking through his teeth of course), thus avoid me being made to look a total stopcock.

Just didn't want to call up a spark and have him say can't be doen (whilst sucking through his teeth of course), thus avoid me being made to look a total stopcock.

Elvin, anything is possible. It just depends on how much money you've got. ;)

It is on a ring, I checked.

Still want to get the double socket replaced with two fused switches, we have plenty of sockets & this double is a nice distance from the sink area, then use the output from the two fused switches for the waste disposal & the boiling water tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back