Single to double socket off fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a washing machine next to the sink in a single plug running to a 13A fused spur.

I'm looking at a boiling tap so can I change the single plug to a double and run both off that spur?

Sponsored Links
Yep, personally I always extend the ring though.

Blup

Cheers. The only double socket I have on me are normal sockets with switches. I assume they're fine to use instead of the ones without a switch?

I tried to see the load the manual for one I selected as an example does not seem to list load, only thing is says is
Alteration to the 13amp fused moulded plug supplied will invalidate your warranty.[/url] so one assumes under 2 kW as IET regulations say items over 2 kW should have a dedicated supply,
I did find
"Rated Input: 1.5kw Standby Power: 2.2w so assume just 1.5 kW." so not that much of a load.
Yep, personally I always extend the ring though.
Easy for an electrician who has a loop impedance meter to see if within the limits, but without the test equipment a fused spur means the cheap (£50) plug in tester is good enough.

Sponsored Links
I have a washing machine next to the sink in a single plug running to a 13A fused spur. I'm looking at a boiling tap so can I change the single plug to a double and run both off that spur?
The cable is the spur.

If, by spur, you mean a Fused Connector Unit then, while people fit them because they are cheaper than 20A switches, the 13A fuse in it might be too low for both of your appliances.

In any case it is not necessary

IET regulations say items over 2 kW should have a dedicated supply,

Not a regulation. As you well know, it is just a recommendation as one of the ways that could be employed to reduce possible loading issues on our out-dated ring final circuits.

Define the term "out-dated ring final circuits"
IF they are still needed, they could be updated to allow for the fact that 32A MCBs have different characteristics than 30A BS3036 fuses thus allowing smaller cables (the actual minimum size quoted but disallowed by the regulation) or greater capacity.

Then define the term "out-dated radial final circuits"
Who said that? What else is there?

If they are still needed, does that infer the were ever needed? if so then have those needs dissappeared .
Radials predate ring finals so perhaps they could be defined as more outdated.
Like I`ve said many times, both might have their uses, both have advantages and disadvantages when compared

If they are still needed, does that infer
Did you mean "not still needed" and "imply". :)

the were ever needed?
Yes they were needed when they were devised until MCBs were introduced.

As I'm sure you know, they allowed 15A radial circuits to be extended into a ring with a 30A fuse using the same sized cable that would not be adequate for a 30A radial.
Bear in mind a radial circuit with 30A BS3036 fuse today would require 6mm² cable.

if so then have those needs dissappeared
Yes, with MCBs without the derating factor of BS3036 fuses.

.Radials predate ring finals
Obviously.
so perhaps they could be defined as more outdated.
That is not what outdated means.

Like I`ve said many times, both might have their uses, both have advantages and disadvantages when compared
If you say so. Only one of them is not needed.

"Alteration to the 13amp fused moulded plug supplied will invalidate your warranty."
They can write what they like but that is essentially nonsense.

You are a great lover of 'letting a Court decide' and I can't see a Court letting a manufacture off the hook as regards their responsibility (under law, not any warranty) to repair/replace a faulty product because 'the plug had been altered'.

I'm a little surprised that the law allows manufacturers to write things like that.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back