Socket under the floor in downstairs toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Wonder if you can give me some advise.

I'm in the middle of replacing the floor in the downstairs toilet. I started by lifting the old floor and fixing the squeaky floorboards and found this:

How should I deal with this? I was thinking about using a waterproof box and putting some sort of connector in there to terminate the connection but really would like other peoples input.

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes your solution is correct but you must use a maintenance free type, i.e. Hager or Wago 20a or 32a will be fine. Obvously don't locate it under the shower tray ! I would fix it to the side of a joist.

Regards,

DS

How should I deal with this? I was thinking about using a waterproof box and putting some sort of connector in there to terminate the connection but really would like other peoples input.
The ideal, of course, would be to find the other end of that cable and disconnect it at that other end. Failing that, something such as you suggest is probably the best alternative.

Kind Regards, John

Hi, yes your solution is correct but you must use a maintenance free type, i.e. Hager or Wago 20a or 32a will be fine.
I would not have thought that it really needs to be maintenance-free, given that there is seemingly no 'joint' involved (assuming there is just a single cable), does it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
There's a cable coming in from both sides by the look of it.

I hadn't noticed that either.

But I had noticed these two:

screenshot_274.jpg

:LOL:

Obviously if the cables are joined with a junction box then the terminals have to be maintenance free.

Are the available boxes for the "maintenance free" terminals also water proof. ?

Personally I consider any junction under a bathroom floor will be a hazard unless the floor is totally water proof

I hadn't noticed that either. ... But I had noticed these two: :LOL:
Well, yes, I imagine we all noticed those two - however (again, I suspect, like yourself), I had, perhaps naively, assumed that the white flex 'disappeared off' somewhere and had nothing to do with the socket and T+E.

If those two cable are joined, I would want to do a fair bit of investigating - to find out 'what is going on'! I also suspect that it might be difficult to find an MF JB which was designed for flex, but I may be wrong about that.

Kind Regards, John

Well, yes, I imagine we all noticed those two - however (again, I suspect, like yourself), I had, perhaps naively, assumed that the white flex 'disappeared off' somewhere and had nothing to do with the socket and T+E.
I assumed nothing of the sort - I assumed (still do) that it's a spur from that socket.

And I'm pretty sure it's round flex.

I also suspect that it might be difficult to find an MF JB which was designed for flex, but I may be wrong about that.
HAG_j803.jpg
Well, yes, I'm obviously familiar with that, since it (and it's brother/sister) is, AFAIAA the only (at least, the only 'fully built' - we're still not sure about Wagoboxes!) MF JB - but what I wasn't sure about is whether they are 'MF-rated' for flex? I'll have to check.

Kind Regards, John

Isn't it just a twin and earth viewed sideways on?
I initially wondered that, but I eventually concluded that it probably was round, since, with the twists and turns I would have expected to see the 'side' somewhere if it were flat T+E. However, maybe I'm wrong, and you are right!

Kind Regards, John

I would, for a start, disconnect it and see what stops working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back