socket wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am currently trying to change a one way socket to a double. I have a box that the new socket will screw in to, stops me having to chisel out the wall. Only trouble is the wires are not long enough. Is it safe to to use terminal strips?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Just normal terminal strips, as you mentioned, or any of the modern equivalents.

The same cable as is there already - 2.5mm² T&E.

With your 3 new pieces of wire, you can connect together the 3 lives, the 3 neutrals and the 3 earths and just connect one of each to the socket.
No need to use two pieces and connect two lots to the socket.

If there is an earth wire connected to the back box include that as well.

You would need to use 2.5mm² cable. 3-way Wago connectors would be best bet, or 20amp screw terminal connectors (ie choc block)

With your 3 new pieces of wire, you can connect together the 3 lives, the 3 neutrals and the 3 earths and just connect one of each to the socket.
No need to use two pieces and connect two lots to the socket.

If there is an earth wire connected to the back box include that as well.

Cheers mate. Will using one piece of wire from the strips going to the socket be ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back