Sockets not working but fuseboard hasnt tripped?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sockets not working but fuseboard hasnt tripped?

My partner plugged something in and the sockets went as if the fuse tripped but upon looking in the fuseboard this hasnt happened but yet no power in the sockets?

Sponsored Links
My partner plugged something in and the sockets went as if the fuse tripped but upon looking in the fuseboard this hasnt happened but yet no power in the sockets?
Are you sure that it hasn't tripped - assuming you're talking about a 'breaker', sometimes the lever doesn't go down very far when it trips - try pushing it right down ('off') and then back up again.

Are you saying that none of the sockets work? What about other things (like lighting, cooker, etc.) - do they all still work? Are you sure there is not some other protective device (maybe an RCD separate from the CU/fuseboard) which has tripped?

Kind Regards, John

Ive tried switching them "off" on the breaker and also the lights are on but no power on any sockets

Sponsored Links
Ahh it was the rcd !!
I dont know what the rcd is but it had tripped but not all the way down

Ahh it was the rcd !! I dont know what the rcd is but it had tripped but not all the way down
Glad it's sorted. Yes, RCDs also sometimes don't 'go all the way down' when they trip, but often need to be pushed all the way down before they can be switched on again.

That may not be the end of this story, since something caused this RCD to trip. What was your partner plugging in/out when the problem arose?

Kind Regards, John

Yes it had only gone half down and needed to be switched off completely before it would go back on.

Also i think you are right. Looks like a loose socket (yikes)

A socket so loose that it creates electrical faults is Bad News.

Have you called an electrician yet?

The socket is not in use now and landlord has been notified.

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back