Sockets on dedicated circuit

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a 16A hot tub on a 32A circuit (6mm cable) via a rotary isolator. It's in the perfect place for me to add a garden socket.

I understand there is a rule / guidance that appliances over 13A should be on a dedicated circuit but is this a should or a must? For example I would compare this to a cooker switch with inbuilt socket. Clearly I have ample headroom on circuit current, even without considering diversity and the infrequent use of the socket.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I understand there is a rule / guidance that appliances over 13A should be on a dedicated circuit
Not true as you mean it.

A 'dedicated' circuit does not mean separate or for sole use but that they should not be connected to a socket circuit.

A single socket on a circuit with 16A spare capacity (or vice versa) will be fine.

Long as its a 13a socket (so the plug fuse will protect the appliance cable). I'm assuming the hot tub supply is fed via RCD or RCCB...

• Thanks
Reactions: bsr
Long as its a 13a socket (so the plug fuse will protect the appliance cable). I'm assuming the hot tub supply is fed via RCD or RCCB...
Don't get this. 16A device on a 13A socket?
I think that the data sheet of the hot tub would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Thanks All, really useful. The SWA is glanded into the isolator so I think it's easiest to drill 20mm hole in the side of the isolator and use a bush and nut to couple onto the socket then run a short length of 2.5mm T&E from the isolator input terminals to the socket. Does that sound OK?

Yes split load board with 2xRCD.

Don't get this. 16A device on a 13A socket?
I think that the data sheet of the hot tub would be helpful.

I think you misunderstood. The circuit has a 16A hot tub on a fixed supply. Rating plate says 16A. I want to add a general purpose socket.

Is the isolator outside? If so, dont use T&E, use NYY-J or similar. That way you can properly gland it into the existing box.

Is the isolator outside? If so, dont use T&E, use NYY-J or similar. That way you can properly gland it into the existing box.
In terms of glanding, that's not essential ....

upload_2021-3-26_20-50-24.png

Kind Regards, John

True, but T&E outside is a bit... Janky?
Maybe, which is why I wrote "In terms of glanding...".

Mind you, I'm not sure that 'our' apparent 'allergy' to T&E outdoors is, in many cases, any more rational that it would be for any other PVC sheathed cable. Unless it is in a situation in which mechanical protection would be desirable for a (any) non-armoured cable, so long as it is protected from UV light (and, for a good few years, even if it isn't so protected) T&E is, in reality, essentially fine.

Kind Regards, John

The T and E wont be exposed as he intends to couple the socket to the side of the existing isolater

• Thanks
Reactions: bsr

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back