sockets on ring not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bit of a strange problem,theres only one of the rewireable fuses for all sockets in bungalow,4 or 5 sockets before problem are working and plug in tester showing ok,then 2 out of 3 sockets in bedroom not working 2 sockets in next room (dining) working then none in the kitchen working but all sockets after kitchen are working?
the tester shows faulty n or l-e miswire or n-e miswire.
why would it seem only the centre of the ring is faulty.
had a quick look in loft to follow the cables,they don't seem to go from one socket to the next nearest and loft a bit boarded and full of stuff

Sponsored Links
That's highly unlikely unless you have had one unnoticed fault for a while and now you have two.
Or perhaps it's not a ring.

Disconnected wire(s) somewhere.

Thanks efli,
What is unlikely? Definitely only one fuse for the sockets,
Living room sockets work and show OK with tester
bedroom next to it,1socket works, next one shows fault and dosnt work, with another behind fitted wardrobe I can't get at.
2nd bedroom, 1 socket OK another behind draws I couldn't get to.
Next room is dining,sockets work,
Then kitchen,none work and show the fault,
3rd bedroom all work.

What is happening cannot happen on a ring with one disconnected wire

unless you have had one disconnected wire for a while, at one side of your non-working sockets which you haven't noticed, and you now have a second disconnected wire at the other end.

Sponsored Links
What size Fuse is it? They could be set up as a radial. In bedroom one where socket works are you able to carefully open it up and take a look? Photograph it?

30amp fuse,in bedroom 1,i could only just get hand in to put the tester in the first socket.i know i will have to get at it but bed and cupboards in the way and the cables in the loft are under boarding.
the second one in bedroom that dosnt work has single cable so could have been spurred off the one behind the built in wardrobe.
i have taken all of the sockets not working off and cant see any problems.
but what would cause 6 or 7 sockets to be faulty but all the rest working ok.i know if all these sockets were somehow just a radial taken off the ring(not good) then it could happen,but could anything else cause it.grateful for any ideas

They could be set up as a radial. In bedroom one where socket works are you able to carefully open it up and take a look?
What cables, and how connected, would you expect to find at a socket

1. On a radial?
  2. On a ring?

They'll look the same no doubt but he needs to localise the fault

You may have a hidden FCU feeding the sockets in the kitchen which has a blown fuse.

DS

was in the loft tracing the cables above one of the sockets and they started working,couldn't find any damage to the cable,sockets tested ok with plug in tester showing no faults?
so how do you find a fault thats not showing a fault.

Why do you think?
I have no idea, which is why I asked.

Are you just being pedantic or do you not realise that this is a working socket so if others beyond this aren't a wire could be loose inside
None of that is of any relevance.

You said "They could be set up as a radial. In bedroom one where socket works are you able to carefully open it up and take a look?"

If it's going to look the same whether the circuit is a ring or a radial, how does looking at it tell the OP whether it is "set up as a radial" or not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back