Diagnosing a ring main installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Double socket, modern construction with single L-N-E terminals. 2 red wires going to L, 2 black wires going to N, 2 green wires going to E.
All correct and working OK.

But if I remove the 2 red wires from L, and separate them, *both wires* are still live when checked with a neon screwdriver.
What gives? Does this mean the socket is not on a ring main?
I expected one wire to be live, the other not.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
But if I remove the 2 red wires from L, and separate them, *both wires* are still live when checked with a neon screwdriver.
What gives?
A neon is all very well, but you should also check with a reliable voltmeter.

Does this mean the socket is not on a ring main?
Quite the reverse - it means, usually, that the socket is on a ring.

I expected one wire to be live, the other not.
Why?

If it is on a ring main then both wires should be live when they are disconnected! Both ends of the ring are connected at the consumer unit. If one wire was dead when they were seperated it would indicate either a radial circuit, or a problem (break) somewhere else in the ring circuit.

I wouldn't rely on a neon screwdriver to give you reliable results either, particularly if you're using it to prove a wire dead before touching it...

Sponsored Links
a neon once reliably informed me that a ring main cable was not live, however the blinding flash and firecracker bang that ensued as i applied my pliers to the cable made me wonder if the pliers, cable and cu were all conspiring unfairly to disagree with the neon...

find a solid metal hammer and smash the damn thing to pieces, u can then be certain it wont lie anymore :)

b/

They lie, and can be dangerous anyway.

Treated myself to a new CK sensoplus driver set, really nice set of tools, apart from the neon screwdriver which looked like something out of an xmas cracker.

I use my voltage/continuity tester at the very least to check for dead, ideally I use the megger.

Oh the efficacy of using neon screwdrivers using your body to complete the circuit to test for live lol!!

If you have rubbery enough shoes on then you don't need the neon screwdriver. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back