Soffit down lights ... led or mains?

Sponsored Links
To call off in our world is to identify requirements from a specification. For example... I have reviewed the floorplan and called off requirements. It's even better when this call off is then put into the shop fitting 'take off'.

Sponsored Links
I don't even know what 'call off' means. To me it means cancel or possibly postpone.
Indeed. I presume (from context) that he means what you and I would term 'specify', which is the word I have been using in all my responses to him.

Kind Regards, John

The lights are all standard parts to our kit. The lights, drivers, link cables, etc. are all supplied as part of a kit of parts under a single code. The electrician just has to connect it up to an electrical feed and sign off as working. That was where my understanding of a driver came from -- in that it is required to step down and regulate the voltage feeding our lights.
Well, if that's what the kit contains, they clearly are extra-low-voltage lights which require an an external means of reducing the voltage from mains voltage to extra-low voltage (and perhaps also control the current, although that is more like to be done within the LED lamps/bulbs).

However, your original question was about the difference between 230V and extra-low-voltage ones. I would say that the short answer is that 230V one are cheaper, easier/cheaper to install and that they have less that can go wrong (since no drivers/transformers to mess about with)

I meant to say inverted commas :oops:
In that case, the 'single quotes' (like those ones :) ) I use, which are actually apostrophes on the keyboard, appear to be the same as you said you use!

Kind Regards, John

That was where my understanding of a driver came from -- in that it is required to step down and regulate the voltage feeding our lights.
It might be regulating the current - it depends on what sort of driver it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back