Soft sheen on new plaster - how big a mistake?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, let me say that I'm a novice when it comes to diy / a total idiot (delete as you see fit).

I've had a bedroom skimmed, and knew that it needed a watered down coat for the first coat...unfortunately I only found out that it has to be matt after putting a coat of 25% watered down Dulux Soft Sheen on.

My question is - how bad is the situation now? The first coat has covered really quite well (rollered then quickly finished with a brush while wet), it'll need a second coat to be sound.

What do people reckon - is it bound to peel in time or might I get away with it?

Is there anything I can do to save the situation?

Any advice would be most appreciated

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
No problem at all. As long as you have thinned first coat.
We usually use matt to give better coverage. And also to help hide any blemish'es in the plaster. Also a breather non vinyl on deep plaster is esential if plaster is not completely dry.
I very often (on skimmed only plaster) use silk/satin or whatever as a first (mist) coat if the customer wants a sheen finish. I certainly dont go and buy a bit of matt just for mist coat, then a bit of silk to finish with.

As you seem happy with mist coat and feel the next coat will finish well your doing fine ;)

Good luck

If your plaster was dusted and dry, you should have no problems.

Sponsored Links
Great news, thanks for the replies. Yep plaster was wiped down first and was all dried out so hopefully it'll be ok then!

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back