soil pipe fitting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

We've recently moved house and had a new bathroom fitted.

New house has an internal soil pipe running down thru the bathroom and kitchen.Whilst the bathroom was being installed I noticed the flashing on the roof had failed and got the plumber to replace this, when he did he fitted a device to the top of the soil pipe that ive never seen before.
Since it was installed we've noticed a horrible smell in the kitchen when any of the things in the bathroom are used.(toilet/shower)

Can anyone comment on the fitting as to weither its the problem or not

It look like a cap or a durgo ? or something.?

Pitcure is in my images

Sponsored Links
What you have got is a vent cowl, which just prevents objects from entering the soil pipe. If you fitted the bathroom, then you need to check all internal pipework. If you contracted someone to fit it, get them back. :)

It is a durgo and it`s the problem : Did the durgo fitting feller fit a flashing :?: Some plumber :rolleyes: all it needs is a cage - and a proper lead flashing if it was me doing it ;)

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys.

It was a plumber who fitted the bathroom.

At the time he did the flashing I asked about the fitting,why would he fit one of those?. As I understand it they are some sort of air admittance valve.?

Indeed they are, they allow air in, however crucially they don't let any out and this is almost certainly your problem - your system can't vent as it should so it's finding a way to vent into your house

I thought I'd give you guys an update and again ask for advice.....

I had the plumber back a couple of times and he discovered...

Issue 1 - The waste pipe that connects to the soil pipe in the bathroom was completely blocked. This has now been cleared.

Issue 2 - The smell still remains in the kitchen around the area of the soil pipe.

I've looked a the set up and I've got the following...

The thing on the roof is indeed a vented cowel.
A AAV has been fitted in the loft, which in turn has an elbow fitted that connects the shower extraction pipe to, which in turn goes thru the roof to the vented cowel.

Is this right.???

Not sure about the setup in the loft! (Pic might help here!) Are you saying he's connected the exhaust from the shower extractor to the soil vent??? I am wondering if he's capped the soil pipe with an AAV and used the vent for the shower fan outlet.... :confused:

OK, Sorry to sound thick but can someone enlighten me.

Is this installation correct.?

Internal vertical soil pipe with one connection off it feeding the bathroom.
As the pipe enters into the loft a AAV has been fitted ,on top of that the exhaust from the shower has been connected which in turn goes thru the roof, terminating with a vented cowel

Was the extractor fan fitted as part of new bathroom install? That vent is supposed to do just that, ventilate the drains. That AAV as said previously will allow air in but wont allow any foul odours out. (Which is why you had a vent there...) Any build up of pressure in the system is forcing its way out via the kitchen waste pipes. Its rather coincidental this problem has appeared since bathroom was refitted.....
Your plumber has cut corners by using the original vent for the shower extractor exhaust, stuck an AAV on the top of the stack and hoped nobody would notice.

As Kev has already said, its not correct and its not working, get stack reconnected to the vent and the extractor vented elsewhere. (Not into the loftspace....)

What a bum sleeps in :idea: .. And a T Rex song " Girl I`m just a dumpster for your love "

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back