Soil pipe query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Just a quicky.
I have a toilet up stairs the pipe comes straight out the wall.
Question 1. Can i have a turn to connect to the stack?
At the base of the stack i have a toilet that needs to join to it from the basement.
Question 2. It will join into it and then jave a bend directly below to go to a manhole. Is this ok?
Thanks ollie

Sponsored Links
Fall from toilet pan to soil stack will be 1 in 23 or 40. No manhole yet. Septic tank to be installed.
Can i go from base of stack 90 bend straight into manhole

Need a long radius bend at the bottom of the stack, provided you can get that in then chamber should be ok after that, but flow will ideally need to go straight into the channel, using one of the laterals could result in fouling of the opposite benching.

The lowest branch connection must be a minimum of 450mm above the invert of the drain from the stack.

Sponsored Links
As mentioned a long radius bend is needed at the bottom of the stack. Try to keep 90 bends to a minimum if any.

Another thing to consider is having the manhole / inspection chamber so close to the bottom of the stack you'll find when all the nasty stuff flies down your soil stack it'll explode right into your manhole / inspection chamber. Try and incorporate a run of pipework maybe a few meters to allow everything to settle before it enters the chamber, I know its not possible sometimes but try and consider it if you can.

EDIT: Ha, just realized thats what you were implying Hugh in a more technical manor. I couldn't grasp what you meant at first. Now I understand. So long as the original posters knows one way or another, eh?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back