Soil pipe vented to roof outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 4 toilets in a 6 year old house. Two have their own soil pipes rising in the loft and are capped and vented with air intake valves. The other two use the same soil pipe. This rises directly next to our water storage tanks. It is vented by means of a long flexi hose that is connected to a vent in the centre of one of the main tiled elevations of the roof. This vent has leaked several times when the rain and wind have been heavy. I have two questions. 1) Why would the builders have vented this pipe through the roof 2) If the proximity to the water tanks is an issue, would it be aceptable for me to remove the roof vent, fit the flexi hose with a solid pipe terminal away from the tanks and cap it with an air intake valve in the same fashion as the others?

Sponsored Links
1. It is a requirement of the building regulations that the highest point of the drain is vented. The stack probably joins the drain at the head of its run, so the vent allows the drain to breathe and expel any gases that may accumulate.

2. Probably not. As explained the drain needs to be vented. It would be better to replace the flexi section with rigid pipework, (use bends as needed) and fit a new weathering slate to seal where the pipe penetrates the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back