soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I want to replace my toilet pan and at the mo, it is cemented up to the soil pipe with a sort of lip. I do not fancy to chip away the cement between the soil lip and the pan outlet and i think it will take ages to saw through the soil pipe which is not made of plastic but looks like very heavy metal.....could any of you give me any tips on how to disconnect it please?? Also i would like to tile the floor and therefore the pan outlet will no longer line up with the soil pipe, can i use some sort of flexible trap and what diameter should that be? Apologies for those many questions. Thank you for answering.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys after some google searching, some advice i gathered was that i could cut through cast iron soil pipe with a angle grinder........is there any big risk to crack the pipe? And what diameter disc should i use? Ta.

I cut my cast iron pipe inside with a 4" angle grinder & finished of with a hacksaw. Cast iron cuts easy with a good blade.
A bit dusty with the grinder though.
JonB

Check the height of your new pan outlet will be compatible with the soil pipe - they do vary.

Offset pan connectors are available to marry up misaligned outlets, but remember that water doesn't run uphill.

Once you get through the outer skin, which can sometimes be quite hard going, cast iron cuts easily with a hacksaw.

Buy a decent blade though - cheap ones often tend to shed one or two of their hardened teeth, which stick in the work and quickly blunt the blade.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys thank you very much for your valuable inputs. 1) Instead of starting off with a 4" blade and finishing off with a hacksaw, can i use a larger diameter disc so that i can cut straight through? 2) I just have a small angle grinder, is it possible to hire one out for the job? Thanks a million.

When you say finishing off with the hacksaw, i just realized that the top part of the hacksaw is thicker than the blade so the hacksaw does not go all the way through the soil pipe. I should finishing off sideways but i have only got 1" or 2" clearance between the floor and the bottom of the pipe which makes it not very easy to cut through, that's why i wandered if a larger angle grinder with a larger blade would do the job. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back