Soil pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm slowly getting there with our extension project with great help from you guys.

Had builders in to quote and all of them have raised the issue of how to deal with the drainage from the downstairs loo. The new drainage was going to be out to the front but it turns out the sewers are out the back.

Builder 1 said just connect to the existing SVP on an angle. So somehow going diagonally across under the new kitchen floor. Builder 2 said you'll need to change where the loo is so its on the same wall as the current SVP ( the layout they suggested doesn't work for us). Builder 3 said macerstor is the only option.

The current SVP comes down into the kitchen. The plans say this is moving but it doesn't have to.

The SVP connects to a manhole just outside of the French doors on the far left. (The back of the house). I currently don't know how deep this is but the distance between it and the SVP is only a couple of meters.

What are your opinions. Have attached the plans.

Thanks

Screenshot_20181125-212912.png
Screenshot_20181125-212940.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would want to go straight to the manhole, it would be an epic **** up if anyone managed to get that wrong.

Thanks.

I have indicated on the plan where the manhole is. New one attached.

Can the new pipe be run similar to the way I have drawn on.

Untitled.png

Sponsored Links
If you can run a 4" drain then do so, pretty much fit and forget. To be honest, the architect should have identified the existing drain runs and specified the route for the drainage for the new WC, if he/she has decided to put it there! Is the pan being fitted back to an external wall, and do you have access to the other side of that wall?

If you can run a 4" drain then do so, pretty much fit and forget. To be honest, the architect should have identified the existing drain runs and specified the route for the drainage for the new WC, if he/she has decided to put it there! Is the pan being fitted back to an external wall, and do you have access to the other side of that wall?

Yes that's the external wall of the garage but has no access on the other side.

Apologies but what does running a 4" drain exactly mean ?

The architect had done the drain run out the front but the manhole has telecoms in.

To be honest he should have investigated that further.

Someone suggested we rejig the layout like this. I'm not sure.
Screenshot_20181126-210604.png

Why not tell the architect about these drainage problems and ask for their suggestions for a satisfactory solution.
Are you saying the architect showed a drain going into a BT chamber ?!
Regards

Why not tell the architect about these drainage problems and ask for their suggestions for a satisfactory solution.
Are you saying the architect showed a drain going into a BT chamber ?!
Regards

I will raise it with him and yes it showed it going into a manhole that apparently is for telecoms. I haven't lifted it but the drains run across the back gardens according to the locals and there is a manhole out the back.

Also question .If the drainage plan is changing does the building reg plans need resubmitting? Hasn't been approved yet but it's in the process of being.

Last edited:
Saniflo= expensive noisy pain, avoid. The existing SVP must drop to a manhole somewhere- which could potentially be on a shared pipework run and thus cannot be built over without agreement from your local sewerage provider, which is a whole other world of pain. Where is the new SVP going to be- you do need a vent pipe, the Victorians proved that!

Saniflo= expensive noisy pain, avoid. The existing SVP must drop to a manhole somewhere- which could potentially be on a shared pipework run and thus cannot be built over without agreement from your local sewerage provider, which is a whole other world of pain. Where is the new SVP going to be- you do need a vent pipe, the Victorians proved that!

The SVP currently runs out the bathroom wall upstairs and then down the outside wall and into the existing kitchen extension. This then runs about 2m to a manhole out the back of the property.

Nothing will be built over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back