Soil Stack Ducting Drama

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I did have a quick look to see if this has been covered before, but couldn't see anything. Here's my problem..

My house is about 10 years old, and has an internal soil stack. This connects inside the loft to a roof vent, via some PVC flexible hose (a la tumble dryer). The PVC has degraded and started to tear, which is letting water leak inside the loft. I've tried to repair the PVC house with duct tape and glue, but the water has leaked through the tape. So i've replaced the section of PVC ducting that was damaged with a new section, and used the circular double-ended plastic connectors to attach it to the old ducting hose and to the the black rubber roof vent hose. I attached it with 100mm jubilee clips at either end and did them up tight.

This hasn't fixed the problem, there's still leaks from both ends of the section I replaced. So my questions are:

Should there be this much water in a pipe that's supposed to be venting gas? I'm not sure if it's condensation, or perhaps rain leaking back into the vent from the roof..

Is PVC flexible hose the right thing for this job, or should it be replaced with something rigid?

Anything other ideas?

Thanks,

Adam

Sponsored Links
Flexible ducting really isn't suitable for this application and I've certainly never seen it used here. However, fake it up for now with tape, and tuck the bottom end of the flexy inside the SVP if you can. Come the better weather, put a new section of the proper plastic pipe in, with a connector. Should be fairly simple if the SVP and the vent are in line.
John :)

Thanks for the reply John. I'll patch it up for now and get it done properly as you suggest.

Would you expect to see much water in this ducting? I just wondering if the roof vent might be leaking rain in as well..

Adam

Sponsored Links
There will be a certain amount of moisture in there...even if snow doesn't go down the pipe itself (which it will) there's the seal between the pipe and the flashing to consider. However, if your pipe was one solid length, you'd never know!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back