Soil Stack Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old house which originally had the cast iron guttering, and soil stacks, lead pipes etc.
When the house was replumed, the plumber replace the toilet stack with a new pvc one.

He basically cut the origional (which went into the drain) about 4 inchs from the ground, and then put the new stack over the top.
I've now notice that there appears to be a constant dampness beside the stack so can only assume that there is a small trickle continually coming through where the join is not fully sealed.
Is there a product that i could use to almost 'seal' the join (similar to sealant i guess) that should stop this occurring.
It's down the side of the house and we're just about to have it paved so wouldn't want this 'dripping' onto our new path !!

Many Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks gasservice
I'll check when I get in. I don't recall their being and metal clips on it !
Are there other fittings that don't use these ?

Maybe I didn't explain to well
The stack goes onto an almost junction, which sits over the original.

Assuming it's wrong (was a dodgy builder who liked cutting corners so wouldn't be surprised if it is) will the whole stack have to come down to replace ?

Sponsored Links
i assumed from your post that the new plastic pipe has been fitted over the old pipe (remaing 4 inches) this would not be an acceptable joint.

as far as i am aware this is the only type of fitting that you would use to connect to cast iron/pitch fibre/clay etc the jubilee clips allow a range of different size pipes to be connected.

if it is connected as i assume the pipe will need to be cut above the cast iron and fit this one it may not be very easy to do dependant on space and movement in pipework anyhow i would suggest you either ask the builder to check/correct his work or employ someone else to check/correct this is not really a job for the DIYer and you probably dont want to get covered in S**T

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back